Chapter 8 - Risking it All

The lines in my palms were glowing with a beautiful golden hue, spreading down my arms in a pattern that seemed to flow alongside my veins. Dr. Patterson's eyes bulged from his face, but it seemed Miya was the most shocked. Despite telling her I had magic; I don't think she fully believed me until she saw it with her own eyes.

"Ahh, I can't believe my eyes!" dumfounded, Dr. Patterson examined my arm with the pulsing magic inside. Even Aunt Matilda's eyes widened, taking in the sight. I smiled to myself; it felt as if something inside me was set free.

"My, my, my! Now that you have magic, I have to send a letter to the magic association and let them know to put you on the registry!" he quickly fumbled out of the room, murmuring to himself about how shocked he was.

"Gosh, Delisa, I still can't believe you have magic!" Miya eyed the intricate gold lines until they finally faded away.

"And I still can't believe your plan worked. He's going to put me on the registry, which means I can compete in the Divination Games!" I laughed, squeezing her palm. Miya beamed as I continued to praise her.

Everything went smoothly according to plan. The minute I get my official magic certificate, I could head to Miya's house to start phase two of the plan.

Dr. Patterson hobbled back into the room, holding a shiny parchment paper and hastily scribbling his signature on it.

"I'm going to give you your magic certificate to indicate the authenticity of your powers. However, like all young adults, you will need to go to the magic association and complete a series of tests to get your official copy. This is just a temporary one." I smiled, glad to receive the paper in my hands. I let my fingers skim across the parchment, pride swelling in my heart.

"I have to send a pigeon to the other local doctors and let them know what happened today! You could be on headlines, Delisa! The child who believed she was powerless ends up getting magic when she's 17, despite years of never using it!" he exclaimed, accidentally knocking a pile of papers. Miya gasped, covering her mouth.

Fear choked me. Headlines? I was going to be on the HEADLINES? We never planned for THIS!

"No, Dr. Patterson!" I nearly shouted, rushing to face him. Dr. Patterson turned around, confusion and shock in his eyes.

"Why not, Delisa? Your remarkable story would spread across the nation like wildfire. I bet even the King and Princess Ruby would hear about it." He rejoiced, shaking my palm proudly. The King and Princess? Was this man insane? I was trying to keep my profile as low as possible, especially around the royal family, not become an overnight celebrity!

"Dr. Patterson, I don't feel comfortable with this! You know how people in Veridian have strong opinions. Some could believe I'm faking my powers and try to force me to prove them or something." I yelped, hoping he would understand.

"She's right, Dr. Patterson! Not every magical discovery has to be announced. Maybe it's for the best. Perhaps Delisa is unique, and that's why her powers still work," Miya added, fear shaking her voice.

"Now that you mention it, Delisa was rather unique! Her magic reacted quickly and powerfully to the activator spell, which I have never seen before! Usually, it takes a while for the glow to grow that strong. I was so shocked by her powers I completely dismissed it." Miya even gave me a confused look, hearing Dr. Patterson's revelation.

"Her powers are unusually powerful!" he exclaimed, furrowing his snow-white brows together.

"Delisa, remember your powers are much more powerful than others, since he gave you the spirits drink."

"Do you perhaps have a birthmark on your body that's unusual?" he asked, his face serious. My face paled, and I knew what he was thinking. He was suspecting me of being a royal.

My birthmark seemed to burn against me; I wanted to peel it off.

"Dr. Patterson, I don't know what you're talking about!" I backed up, but Dr. Patterson continued to approach me.

"Dr. Patterson—" I began, before I could elaborate, a burst of light whizzed into the room, knocking Dr. Patterson. He gurgled unexpectedly and suddenly collapsed onto the ground, slumping onto the fading carpet.

My eyes widened in horror. What did I just do to Dr. Patterson?

I looked up, trembling, until I saw Aunt Matilda standing behind him, her wand pointed out straight. Anger and fear were burning in her eyes.

"Aunt Matilda? YOU TOO?" Miya exclaimed, shaking a quivering finger at my aunt's wand. I forgot to tell Miya she had powers as well.

"Auntie! What did you do to him?" I carefully backed away and around Dr. Patterson's body, approaching her, shocked at her actions.

"I knew this was a stupid idea, I knew it was dangerous! DELISA, HE ALMOST CAUGHT ON!" she shouted, gripping my shoulders. Her fingers dug into my skin, almost as if she was afraid, I'd disappear. "Let's go home and forget any of this ever happened!"

Her disappointment and anger made me want to break down into a sob, but I had to fight back. Tears streamed down my face.

"But he didn't, Aunt Matilda. He didn't catch on." My voice was steady as I locked eyes with her.

"Delisa, of course HE DIDN'T CATCH ON! I JUST SPELLED HIM WITH AN ILLEGAL SPELL, WHICH WILL COST US OUR LIVES!" she screeched, making Miya cower in the corner. "THERE'S NO POINT IN COMPETING IN THE DIVINATION GAMES; THE RISKS ARE HIGHER THAN I IMAGINED!"

"Auntie, what were you expecting?" I had to be stern with her, or else she would pull me underneath.

"I knew competing in the Divination Games would involve risks, this one included. Without them, I'd be sitting back home in the cottage, staring outside the window and wondering what my life could have been if I took a risk." My voice was raising, higher than I usually was with her.

"Auntie, I know you're scared for me, but you can't shelter me forever! I've become naive and soft!" I sighed, remembering how I panicked when Dr. Patterson approached me.

"I'm going to compete in the Divination Games, at all costs... for my dad, for you, and everyone."