Chapter 6- False Heritage

I quickly scanned the area for a hiding spot, but then I heard a familiar voice. "Are you sure? I just want to check in with her." It was Miya. Relief washed over me; she must have been worried after I abruptly left her. I pulled myself out of the water and walked inside. Aunt Matilda gave me a horrified look, but I reassured her with a nod.

"Delsia?" Miya asked, her eyes scanning my face for hidden meaning.

"Hey, Miya, thanks for checking in. I'm alright. I was just taking a bath in the pond outside," I lied, hoping she wouldn't press further. Miya's eyes raked over me before responding.

"You took a bath in your nightgown?" she questioned, her brows knitting together in confusion. Embarrassment flooded through me. How did I forget about that?

"Yeah, like the water was cold and all..." I gave her a feeble response, pinching myself. What was I thinking?

"Why don't you head into my room and wait for me? I have to get dried off anyway." I suggested, blinking my eyes rapidly, trying to hint to her that I would explain later. Miya seemed to catch it and nodded, walking towards my room. I sighed and turned around when a cold hand grabbed my wrist.

"I know what you're going to do, Delsia. You're going to tell Miya. The risk isn't worth it!" Aunt Matilda said, fear washing over her. I could see she was stressing about my secret getting exposed.

"Auntie, I decided I want to compete in the Divination Games. She wouldn't believe me if I suddenly told her I was a noble or something. I can trust Miya; she's my closest friend, Auntie," I said, grasping her palms.

"Delsia... I'm warning you. It's up to you to reveal as much information as you can about yourself," she sighed, gripping my palms.

"It's okay, Auntie. Trust me," I gave her a nod before walking away to change.

I changed into a mulberry-colored nightgown and combed through my black locks before approaching my bedroom where Miya sat. She was fidgeting with her cape until she caught me standing in the doorway.

"Delsia!" she jumped, grabbing my arms and pulling me to her.

"Tell me everything! What's going on?" she asked, looking behind us to see if my aunt was watching. I nodded and shut the door behind us, guiding her to the bed where we sat side by side.

"Where do I even start?" I gave her a nervous laugh before she placed her hand on my shoulder.

"I guess anything, but if you need a pointer, tell me about the necklace. How do you have it?" she asked, eyeing the intricate crown dangling from my necklace.

"My aunt revealed to me that when I was really young, I grew up living in the castle. She worked as a pastry chef for the imperial family. She believes that Prince Atlas could have been a playmate I met there, so he must have given me this necklace," I said, toying with the pendant.

"I also learned that my family was..." I stammered, Aunt Matilda's warning replaying in my mind.

"They were related to the royal family—" Miya gasped, interrupting me.

"Your parents were dukes and duchesses? Relatives of the royal family!" she squealed, gasping in astonishment.

"Yeah, something like that. However, my parents knew something they weren't supposed to, and basically, they got banished, and the King is apparently trying to hunt me down without knowing it." My lie was good enough; it covered the major points but twisted it away from revealing too much.

"B-b-but does that mean you have magic all along?" her eyes widened, drawing on the revelation.

This is it. "I do have magic, Miya. However, my aunt prevented me from using it in fear that the King's men would discover me. My magic is unusually strong compared to others. I have my powers now, don't worry."

"Sweet celestial spheres," she murmured, eyeing me up and down. I bit down a laugh, seeing her shocked face. "This is a lot to take in... does anyone else know about this?" she murmured.

"Nope, just you and Aunt Matilda. Also, there's a lot that I can't tell you right now, but I promise to tell you in the future... the time isn't right now," I looked away guiltily.

"No, I understand, Delsia. What you told me right now is enough, but I've been wondering. Are you going to compete in the Divination Games now that you have magic?" she asked, scratching her head.

"Yes, I am going to compete in the games, but I don't know how! How will I suddenly apply at the registry and claim I'm a noble, after spending my life as a commoner? I tried thinking of possibilities, but I hit a dead end for all of them," I sighed, pressing my face into my palms.

Miya stayed silent for a minute before jumping up and down and tackling me.

"DELSIA, I GOT IT! I GOT IT!!" she grabbed my shoulders and violently shook them! I laughed, trying to hold still.

Miya's eyes sparkled with excitement as she hugged me. "I've got the perfect solution! What if we make it seem like we're distant relatives? It would explain our close bond, and people might not question it as much."

I considered her idea. "That could work, but how do we explain the lack of public knowledge about our connection?"

Miya grinned mischievously. "We could say that our families had a dispute, and it was kept a secret all these years. It adds a layer of mystery, and people might find it intriguing rather than suspicious."

I nodded, liking the direction of her plan. "Alright, so we're long-lost relatives who recently rediscovered each other. What about my noble background? How do I explain to everyone that I have magic now?"

"After we tell everyone that we are relatives, I'll tell my parents a convincing story. Your Aunt will play the part as well. After that, we will take you to the local doctor and tell him about our situation. He'll use an activator spell on you to 'activate your magic.' Do you see where I'm going?" she said, searching my face.

"The activator spell is usually used on kids who are slow to develop their magic. Then voila! You have magic now, and the doctor will record you in this system of magic folks!" her smile widening every second.

I smiled, impressed by her creativity. "It's a bold plan, but it just might work. We'll need to act convincingly, though. People will be curious about our sudden connection."

Miya winked at me. "Don't worry, Delsia. I've got a talent for spinning stories. We'll make it seem like a heartwarming reunion, and no one will suspect a thing. Plus, my parents are all about family. If they figure you are family, they'll welcome you in as their second daughter!"

As we continued to brainstorm the details of our fabricated family history, I couldn't help but appreciate Miya's quick thinking.

"There's so many things we have to plan to make this convincible... but it could cost us our lives if someone finds out." I reply looking at Miya seriously.  " Are you willing to take that risk for me?"

Miya's eyes narrowed in determination as she met my gaze. "Delsia, you stuck with me since we were little, and we faced challenges together. I know you're not competing in the Divination games for fun, but for something deeper. " She replied holding my gaze.

"I'm in this with you, no matter the risk, even if it means risking everything. I believe in us."