Chapter 13- Secret Steppingstone

My trembling fingers trace the etched name on the necklace — Delisatlas. My voice catches in my throat, and I feel my legs stiffening against the bed. A blur of emotions envelops me — confusion, fascination, and a tinge of uncertainty.

"Atlas,Oh Atlas" I groan, covering my face. My mind is a blank canvas, unable to process the whirlwind of events. Perfectly timed, Miya barges into the room, carrying an identical copy of her floral dress.

Miya enters, her eyes widening at the sight of my serious expression and the connected necklace in my hands. "What's going on? Why do you look like you're about to faint?" She dumps the dress next to me and leans in closer.

"Wow, when did you find the other piece of your necklace?" she asks, examining it with curiosity.

"I didn't. Atlas gave it to me," I say, my voice barely more than an audible whisper. Miya gasps. "Remember the handkerchief he gave me? It was tucked in a small pocket..."

"I thought he was joking when he said he would invite us to the castle!" Miya looks around as if someone might be eavesdropping, then proceeds to shut the door behind her.

"What do you mean?" I ask, puzzled by the response.

"Remember how I mentioned he said that we should visit him at the castle? I thought he was joking until he tried to give me something. I protested, but he kept insisting to give it to you." Her eyes shift between my necklace and my face.

"He must have found it easier to give it to you if he disguised it as a handkerchief."

"Is he an idiot? If someone caught me with this necklace, they would think I stole it! There would be a bounty on my head!" I exclaim. Miya's eyes widen at my realization.

"Does he even know that I'm Delisa? I told him my name was Destiny, but I doubt he recognized me," I ponder, wondering how Atlas could be hundred percent certain that I was indeed Delisa and not Destiny. He practically handed me something sentimental to him, to a complete stranger.

"Maybe he recognized you like you recognized him in the daily royal newspaper," Miya suggests.

"I doubt it. I never would have paid much attention to him if he wasn't wearing that necklace," I say, trying to recall any previous encounters with him, but none came to mind. This would be the first time we'd seen each other face-to-face since we were toddlers. It wouldn't explain why he would remember someone who was insignificant in his life.

"But that doesn't explain something. You mentioned that he's Princess Ruby's betrothed. Why on earth would he have been wearing a necklace from me years ago? From another girl? I'm sure Ruby's already given him one! Why isn't he wearing hers?" I bite my lips, trying to think of a reasonable explanation.

"Maybe he held onto it all these years to give it to you? Wait, I may have slipped up and told him my friends name was Delisa..."

"Miya! You told him my name?" I swivel around, looking at her.

"That must be why he was so eager to give me the necklace. Then when you came beside me, he must have guessed you were Delisa until you mentioned your fake name Destiny. He must have assumed that either of us knew 'Delisa' and would give the necklace back to her eventually." Miya nods, sounding like a detective who solved a cold case.

With that new piece of information, it makes complete sense. I remember telling Atlas my fake name, and he responded weirdly. He must have thought initially that I was Delisa until I told him my fake name, Destiny.

"Well, that's just a hunch. I doubt he actually didn't recognize you. The way he was eyeing you down told me enough," Miya adds.

I close my eyes and scrunch my face together. I doubted Atlas would be stupid enough not to recognize me. With eyes like mine, it was hard to forget a face with it. I was excited that he remembered me and I got his necklace, but now I'm at risk of being exposed by him if I were to compete. How would he react if he found out I was going to compete for Princess Ruby's throne? Neither of us is significant to each other so i'd doubt he would help me.

"Delisatlas, Delisatlas," Miya repeats, a grin dancing on her face. "I would have preferred Datlas or Aelisa—"

I shake my head, "Whatever you're thinking, Miya, no. It's just our names connected—mine and Prince Atlas's. I don't know what it means, but it feels like more than just a quirky coincidence."

Miya's eyes dart between me and the connected necklace, her expression shifting from amusement to contemplation. "Oh, for the love of shooting stars! Delisa, what are you going to do about it? Are you, like, destined to be a princess now?"

I bite my tongue; she's going to catch on that I am, in fact, a princess. I promised Auntie not to say much, but at this point, I feel conflicted. I doubt Aunt Matilda could handle any more information I gave her, especially about Atlas.

"I have no idea, Miya. I want to find out more, but I don't know if I should. Maybe it's best not to push things." I know I'm lying to myself, but I tended to rush into things. There could be consequences I wouldn't expect.

Miya's eyes widen in disbelief. "Delisa, you can't seriously be considering not finding out more about this! Imagine if you were a princess! Princess Delisa, doesn't that sound amazing?" Her excitement is contagious, but I can't let it cloud my judgment.

"But Miya, what if it's not what it seems? What if there are complications, and I end up putting myself and everyone around me in danger?" I argue, trying to rationalize my hesitation.

Miya plops down on the bed next to me, her eyes searching mine. "Delisa, life is full of uncertainties, but this... this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! You can't let fear hold you back. Besides, Prince Atlas seems genuinely interested in connecting with you. Maybe it's not just a coincidence. Did I forget to mention that he's an actual PRINCE?"

Deep inside, I couldn't help but feel like Atlas was playing with me. He's a prince, after all, with infinite wealth and power, betrothed to the one and only Princess Ruby. What could he possibly want from a 'commoner girl like me'?

As much as I want to embrace Miya's enthusiasm, a nagging sense of caution held me back. "Miya, I need some time to think about this. It's a lot to process, and I don't want to make any hasty decisions. Can you promise me that you won't blurt anything out or make a big deal about it?"

Miya crosses her heart dramatically. "Cross my heart and hope to be hit by a comet, I won't say a word until you're ready. But Delisa, promise me you'll consider the possibility that this connection could be better than you expected! You have to reconnect with him!"

Miya failed to realize that Atlas was my enemy since he was loyal to Princess Ruby. I could never know- he could have been playing me with me.

But she was right about one thing- I had to reconnect with Prince Atlas but not in the way I hoped. Instead of an obstacle he would be a steppingstone for me in my journey for the crown.

I had to use Prince Atlas to win the games.

Note from Author

I know I say this all the time- but thank you once again for all the reads! Close to 500 reads? I feel like im dreaming! Hehe :)

I hope your entertained where the story is going so far. Now looking back at the original plot for Crown of Spells- it's completely different! But like life, things are not how you expect them to go!

I've been getting really busy lately- but I plan to still update ASAP with Crown of Spells!