Chapter 2 - Gold Twins' Grand Departure

A tailored man stepped out of the gleaming carriage, holding out a golden scroll in his palm, Miya quickly unlocks the front door and made her way towards the man.

"Good day sir, are you perhaps looking for someone?" she asked quizzically, trying to get glimpses of the parchment in his hand.

"Why yes I am, I'm looking for the Gold twins, is this their residency?" He replies, narrowing his eyes onto my cottage. I quickly make my way out and point him to the house across from ours, with lush flowers.

"That's the Gold residency sir, the house with the grand entrance." The man nods his head before proceeding to the house.

"Why is he going to the Gold residency? Is he looking for those stuck-up twins?" I said, watching the man as he walked away.

"They're getting an early start on their magic education; do you see the emblement on this gold carriage?" Miya answers, pointing to the side of the carriage. "Their heading towards Celestial academy, the finest magic school in the capital!" she sighed, longingly staring at the emblement.

"I would love to go, but it costs a fortune, unless you make it through the talent search which automatically gives you a full scholarship." Miya mumbles.

Soon the twins make their way out, carrying loads of bags. One of the twins Elijah catches me watching and strolls towards my cottage, stopping just before the fence.

"Oh Delsia, you must be here to congratulate us on getting accepted into Celestial Academy!" he sneered, his voice dripping with entitlement. I knew better than to argue with either of the twins, so I held back. Miya averted her gaze and pretended to feed the chickens who clucked for my attention. Emmeline the other twin followed close behind her brother; she hid her smirking face behind an embellished fan.

"Dear brother, come now. You know better than to tease a groundling" she taunted, emphasizing the word "groundling". I could feel my cheeks burn, but I maintain my composure, my gaze cool and steady. Emmeline seemed dissatisfied with my response and tried to taunt me again.

"I'm only looking out for you Delsia, don't be mad! I saw you scampering around with a broken wand trying to change the color of fire!" she mocked waving her fan wildly, causing Elijah to belly over and began to laugh.

"Do you still not know? To possess magic, you must be a royal or a noble. It's passed by blood idiot; no book could teach you to possess such a divine gift." I gazed up coldly at Emmeline, my violet-blue eyes twinkling in the sunlight.

"Why does it matter so much to you Emmeline? Are you afraid that a 'peasant' girl like me could possess such a noble gift" I question her, and her amber eyes lock in with mine. I've always been submissive around Elijah and Emmeline, especially Emmeline. It was my time to stand my ground against her.

Seeing the tension, one of Emmeline's maids' ushers her away and towards the carriage, Elijah bounding right behind them.

"What did they mean, when they mentioned you'd pretends to change the color of fire?" Miya asks, handing the pail of seeds meant for the chickens. I quickly brush past her and look away.

"It's nothing Miya, maybe we can talk about this another time..." A sense of guilt fills me, but I knew better than answering.

"If you say so Delsia," she paused, as if she was going to say something else, but walked away until she stepped onto the cobblestone pavement. "I'll catch you tomorrow at the park!" giving me a quick wave before dashing off. I sigh and dump the pail of seeds onto the ground, letting the chickens have their meal.

"Delsia, I gave you one simple job, yet you scamper behind the twins like a lost dog," Aunt Matilda scolds, handing me a pail of muck, meant for the pigs.

"Aunt Matilda, I was merely trying to observe the carriage that was being pulled up at the Gold's estate. Can you believe those arrogant twins got accepted into Celestial Academy, only the most talented get accepted." I sigh wishfully thinking about the golden carriage arriving at my cottage doors, inviting me in.

"Delsia, why do we keep needing to have this conversation?" she sighs, picking up the broom and dusting the gravel path. "You are a commoner, only nobles and royals possess magic. Do you not understand what a scandal it would be if you revealed to the world that you possess magic? Not only that... but we could be in danger!" she says shaking her head.

Danger, it was the word she used often to describe my magical abilities, a gift that others treasured whereas I got a curse. I always thought my powers came from my parents who passed away when I was infant, but Aunt Matilda stated that they were commoners, with no noble lineage.

Despite my powers being weak, I always dreamed of mastering and growing it. Like Mr. Woods mentioned, I was shunned from the opportunity to enhance and train it. I knew I had a purpose for it.

Filled with emotions a wild idea filled my head, "Why don't we fabricate a story about my parents as nobles? Who would check, when my parents are already residing in the heavens?" My enthusiasm may have gone overboard, as it didn't bring the same reaction I was hoping for.

"Delsia! Where in Veridia did you get such ideas? If anyone found out, we would be banished! Exiled!" her voice was rising, and I cringed.

"We have such a peaceful life here at this cottage, a young woman like you can have so much potential in life, yet you throw it away on such ignorant ideas." she locks her eyes with me and gives me a stern expression "Your seventeen years old and have finished prep school! It's time for you to find an actual career instead of chasing fantasies!" before finally shuffling back inside.

"Auntie! Please be reasonable! Where else would have I gotten my powers from?" I protest back, but she begins to shout louder.

"Those stupid fairy tale books, I should have burned them a while back! Always giving you the most reckless ideas!" sweeping the broom more aggressively.

I knew when Aunt Matilda had a hot temper, it was best to leave her alone. I walked past her and behind the bushes till I found the shallow pond behind our cottage. It was the spot where I usually roamed.

I gazed into the tranquil water, seeing my reflection staring back. My long lush black hair was in a braid that traveled all the way down to my hips, accompanying my slender figure was a fair complexion and sapphire blue eyes that looked purple in the sunlight. I pushed the sleeve of my dress down, revealing my shoulder, an intricate gold lace pattern starting from my collarbone, winding its way down my back and encircling my hips. Time had caused it to fade, but it was still visible especially when under sunlight. Just like my magic, its origins and purpose were unknown.

Aunt Matilda always insisted it was nothing more than a birthmark, urging me to conceal it all time, but a nagging feeling always accompanied me. She would say those words and not let me ask further questions. Was it wrong of me to ask her the truth about my past, a family I never met? A gift I was never meant to use. Should I even bother questioning her? She was my only family after my parents died.

My entangled thoughts swam through my mind until I collapsed with exhaustion onto the soft grass. Letting the soft sounds of nature calm me.

The sounds of laughing caught my attention, and I turned my head to the side to see the grand carriage leaving the Gold Estate. Emmeline and Elijah were waving out to their parents as they left our small village behind. My heart drummed against my chest without reason. 

I didn't know when or how, but I knew I'd get a chance to ride in the that golden carriage one day.