Chapter 17 - Julien

"What did you just say?" he demands again, his hand shaking my shoulders. My eyes bounce rapidly. Shit—I give him a blank stare, sensing my fear. He shakes my shoulders harder, his fingers digging deep into the thin fabric of my dress.

"ANSWER ME, GIRL! What did you just SAY?" It takes too long for it to click. Julian is one of the King's secret men looking for the missing princess, the one Auntie warned me about. He's looking for me.

"I must've misspoken. I meant to say it was some—" I stumble over my words, my heart beating faster every second. I try to wriggle out of his grasp, but his grip remains solid.

"Stop lying! YOU KNOW EXACTLY what you SAID!" he breathes heavily, almost as if he's about to start spewing fire.

I'm cornered. That's it. I need to escape. But it's easier said than done. I quickly elbow him in the stomach and try to hop off the horse. His long legs catch me off guard, and I stumble forward headfirst. My wrists are still tied up, unable to brace myself. I see the pavement rushing towards my face, and my world turns black.

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

Soft sunlight drifts through the room, and I lift my arms groggily. What a wild dream I had last night. I pull the soft blankets closer to my chin, feeling drowsy again. I have to get up soon and help Auntie in the kitchen with breakfast.

"Did you rest well, sleeping beauty?" The words stab through me like an arrow, and I sit up quickly, seeing Julian on a wooden chair, staring at me. My mouth drops open as I look around the unfamiliar room. He's relaxed, with his cape and armor on the mat beside him. I stare at him; he isn't wearing the mouthpiece, and his face is visible. A striking complexion looks back at me. My eyes wander down lower, his neck crisscrossed with scars. What happened to him? Julian's eyes follow mine but remain silent, watching me observe him. Our eyes finally catch, and I hold his gaze.

"Where have you taken me? Why have you held me hostage?" I whisper with a parched throat. I look around the bed for something to use as a weapon, but the room seems particularly empty besides the wooden chair and a mat beside Julian. Is this my dungeon? Is he saying his last farewells before my execution? I can feel a heavy sob erupt from my chest.

Julian gives me a deep, throaty chuckle, but the laughter is missing from his eyes. Suddenly, I feel my head throbbing, and I gingerly touch my forehead where I feel a piece of cloth across my head.

"W-what? What happened?" A knocking catches both of our attentions, and a plump lady walks into the room wheeling in a table of medicine and fresh bandages. A nurse! Julian must have taken me to a local hospital. A hospital?

"Ah, I see that your sister has woken up!" she replies, giving me a soft smile.

"SISTER?" I gasp. Julian sighs and leans across my bed, brushing the loose strands of my hair off my forehead.

"Please excuse her; she's still hung over from drinking last night. Don't worry; I'm right here," he says gently. I look into his eyes and see likewise.

"I just need help removing this piece of cloth, but I'll take the rest from here. She's quite frightened, if you can't tell." Julian nods, pulling back. What in the world is happening? I couldn't even fathom a reasonable explanation.

"Of course, I know how worried you must be about her," the lady replies, carefully beginning to unwrap the bandages. I wince, feeling the excruciating throbbing sensation in my head. Julian notices and cradles my chin in his palm, like what a mother would do to a child.