Chapter 5 - A Touch of Stardust

Dinner unfolded in silence tonight. I delicately swirled the spoon in my porridge, avoiding Aunt Matilda's gaze. Resentment burned in my heart after hearing her revelations, yet they made sense. She did everything so I could live a peaceful life, a life away from the jaws of the King who was out to hunt me.

The cat trotted over, meowing for attention, and curled around my foot. Gently stroking its head, I looked up. "Aunt Matilda," I spoke out, startling her. "Was I like my father? Did I resemble him?" I blurted out randomly.

Aunt Matilda's eyes washed over me as she spooned another scoop of porridge into her mouth.

"Personality-wise, yes. You and your father both sought what was best for others, even if it meant sacrificing your own needs." I smiled to myself, letting the spoon rest in the bowl. "As for your looks, I would say no. You must resemble your mother, with your soft but elegant features. You could use this to your advantage if you decide to compete. No one would suspect you of being Prince Damari's daughter, since you don't resemble him."

My mother? The thought didn't even cross my mind to ask about her. Could she still be alive?

"Who was she? Was she another royal?" I asked, curiosity filling me.

"I'm not sure. She may have been some commoner girl your father met when he escaped, but I do know that she died alongside your father when he was caught." I nodded solemnly, all my hopes of potentially meeting her vanished.

A moment of silence followed before Aunt Matilda spoke up again.

"Have you been considering... joining the Divination Games?" she asked in a murmur. I looked up into her amber eyes and looked away.

"I mean, I have, but how would I suddenly apply for the Divination Games and claim that I had magic powers all along, despite my blood being 'commoner'? Not only that, but I will also have to compete against people who have been training their whole lives for the Divination Games, like the Gold twins! I wouldn't even be considered as a backup!" I shook my head, upset by my revelation.

"Delisa, remember your powers are much more powerful than others, since your father gave you the spirits' drink. You'd be just as powerful as Princess Ruby and other royals," she added, standing up to go rinse her dish.

"I mean yes, but what would that compensate for the years of training they have done? I can't even do a single spell!" I sighed out angrily, following her into the kitchen.

Aunt Matilda looked at me, sensing my frustration, and cupped my chin. "Go to the pond outside and let me show you something." I knew better than to argue and ventured out the back door.

The sky greeted me with hues of orange and purples signaling a sunset, and the warm sweet summer air floated around. I approached the water's edge and stared into the reflection of myself. Last time I checked, I was a basic commoner. This time, I checked, I was a girl with the capability to challenge the crown.

Aunt Matilda walked up behind me, interrupting my daydreaming, holding a small bottle filled to the brim with metallic gold glitter. "I put a spell on you when you were younger to prevent you from accessing your magic, but, as I said, your powers were too strong, so you were able to identify it," she replied, handing me the bottle.

"This will reverse the spell that I've cast upon you, allowing you to see your true potential," she motioned me to unscrew the lid.

"You knew magic? I thought you were just a maid at the palace. They taught you magic? You know magic, Auntie?" I was shocked at what I was hearing.

"My family was wealthy despite being commoners, so I had the opportunity to work in the castle due to my high status. Due to my commoner lineage, I possessed no magic, which is required when I took up a higher position." she paused and looked directly at me.

"I eventually learned; all commoner infants were spelled at birth to prevent them from accessing magic. The only way to undo this was to use stardust." My mouth dangled open hearing her words. Everyone had magic, even the commoners. It was the royal family and nobles who prevented them from having it.

"Are you saying everyone could do magic? It's just that the King had decided they didn't deserve it?" I said, shaking my head in disbelief.

"Yes, Delsia, yes," she sighed. My mind raced with questions, but anger filled my heart, and a realization filled my chest. If I were Queen, I could change that.

"Dump the stardust onto your head, and quickly jump into the pond and wash it off. I don't want any evidence of it left behind. If we get caught, we will be executed. What you have in your hands is forbidden and against the law," she whispered into my ear, looking around for anyone. My hands quivered around the bottle as I listened to what she was saying.

"It's getting dark, and the trees should help to conceal you. I'll be inside in case someone happens to come visit us during this time." I nodded carefully and kissed her on the cheek.

"Thank you, Aunt Matilda, for everything." Our eyes locked together before she left, leaving me standing there.

Anxiety and exhilaration filled my body as I dipped my toes into the water. This was the moment I was waiting for! I carefully submerged myself up to my calves and dumped the precious glitter over my head. It was surprisingly soft to the touch but melted in my fingers when pressed against. My body tingled against the sensation until I fully submerged myself underwater.

I finally resurfaced and gasped out, my white nightgown sticking to my body. The air felt cold and nipped at me, but I was overwhelmed with senses. The dull pulsing in my body I had before was amplified. The unknown energy pulsed in my veins. Was this what having magic felt like?

I closed my eyes, letting the energy float through my body until I directed it to my hands. To my astonishment, my fingertips began glowing, and I gently touched the lily pads wading beside me; they glowed at my touch before fading.

I was doing magic! I was doing magic!

I wanted to squeal out joy and I laughed carefreely as I tapped each of the lily pads and spread my palms onto the duckweed. I stood up, wading around in the pond until I saw my reflection again in the pool.

"Ha, do you see me? I'm doing magic!" I began to twirl around in joy when Aunt Matilda's voice broke through, gripped by fear.

"Yes, dear, she's a bit busy right now; maybe I can give it to her later." Fear gripped me and I froze in place.

Someone was here.