Chapter 12: What Is Underneath

After the eventful and surprising win in the second event against Academy Five, Leopold and his school celebrated with a drink at a bar on campus grounds. Usually, due to school reputation's, the students wouldn't do something so frugal during a time such as this... However, since Leopold pulled off what most would consider an almost impossible win, Mr. Kempt decided to treat all of the students.

Leopold drank another glass of wine as his schoolmates tugged at him. "This is so crazy! I still can't believe that I was able to get that right! You really came though for me, mysterious voice in my mind."

"Why are you making the nicknames longer?"

"That was insane, kid!" Damion complimented as he swung one of his arms around Leopold's neck. "I'm sure that everyone thought we were done for! Not even I knew the answer to that one!"

"Thanks..." Leopold said, laughing nervously. "I didn't really do much..."

"Yeah. I did!"

"How did you know the answer, Leo?" Sparrow asked, coming to his side.

He shrugged. "Don't really know. It just... It kind of came to me! Yeah..."

"Really great lying, kid. You need to work on that..."

He sighed and looked into his drink. "So... Do you drink often, Sparrow? You don't seem like they type who usually would..."

She embarrassingly scratched her head. "I don't usually, yes, but I sometimes have when we have inter-relational meetings with the other species in the underworld."

"Ooh!" Damion perked up once again. "I've been meaning to ask you, Sparrow, but what is it like in the underworld? I asked Lilia once, but she just shrugged me off..."

She narrowed her eyes and lowered her smile. "It's... not great. There's a lot of evil people and hate among everyone down there... Not a place where you'd want to live..."

 He nodded. "Sounds harsh. You must be pretty strong to be able to live down there."

"Yeah..."

Leopold looked back and forth between the two as their awkward conversation progressed. He wanted to step in and end their chat so things didn't go down hill further, but there wasn't much he could do unfortunately...

"Okay, students!" Mr. Kempt called, standing up. "I think that's it for the night! Drink the last of your alcohol and hit the beds! We have another day tomorrow, so you brats need sleep!" He gritted his teeth and walked off. "Night, losers!"

Nix looked at him with a nervous smile. "He sure is confident in what he says..."

Leopold laughed and set his drink down. He stretched his arms and stood up to walk off. "Zion! Let's get going already!"

"Right!" Leopold's roommate agreed as he hurriedly got up and ran up to his friend. "You sure that you don't want to stay and talk with everyone else though? You are tonight's hero."

Leopold nodded. "The best way to repay a hero is to let him get some sleep! I'm way to tired after this..." He yawned and thus walked off with Zion for the night to come...

**********************

"Where am I? What is this place? It's so hot..."

A boy opened his eyes slowly as he felt the insufferable pain that pressed down on his eyelids. He was just in a fancy bedroom with his friend, but now he was in what looked like a sort of hell on Vera.

"No. That must have been a dream..." he told himself. "My name is Fieron and I'm a demon living in the awful underworld... Orphaned and alone..." He felt a tear try to fall down his face before hit was evaporated by the heat that hung over all the underworld.