Chapter 4: Brother Complex

Charlotte was in a field of many flowers. Some were roses, others tulips, and even a few sunflowers scattered the ground below her. It was the beautiful world of peace and wonder that Charlotte had always dreamed to live in. Just her and her brother here everyday with no cares to distract them!

"Charlotte, you look lovely today..." Leo would whisper in her ear. "You'd make a fine bride."

"Oh, Leo!" she would exclaim in embarrassment. "A fine bride you say..."

"Indeed." Leopold would breathe in a gentle tone. "You'll make a fine bride. For someone else!"

Ah yes. That's how it always ended in a sad story such as this. No sister could ever be with her loving brother, even if she wished it could be. Why was the world so cruel that this wonderful thing had to be taken from her grasp?

"N-No..." Charlotte mumbled in her sleep. "Don't say that, brother!"

"Char!" Mary called as she shook her friend out of her sleep. "Wake up, sleepy head! It's morning!" She stepped back as Charlotte arose from her bed, rubbing her eyes.

"Morning... Already?" Charlotte asked, yawning. "That sucks..."

"Why would it suck exactly?" Mary asked. "You get to see your brother in one of the next few days, remember?" 

Charlotte's eyes widened as she jumped off her bed and rushed to get ready. "I totally forgot! Big brother is coming to the school this week!" The students of Academy Five would be coming to live at their school in the next semester due to the schools tournament against one another. Luckily for Charlotte, one of those students included her wonderful brother, Leopold.

"Do you think he'll be here today?" Mary asked. "From what I heard, they're students here having some sort of race here in different groups and may arrive on separate days..."

"He'll be here." Charlotte protested. "You remember how those two groups from their school arrived a day early. Brother shouldn't be far behind!" She sighed. "Unless he forgets that he's supposed to come..."

"So he's an idiot then?" Mary asked. "Sounds like your family..."

"Rude!" Charlotte exclaimed in embarrassment. "Leopold's just a bit forgetful is all... I'm sure that he'll be here today!" He had to be here. There was no way that Leopold would wait to see his cute little sister, right?

Mary sighed and scratched her head. "Whatever. Just finish getting ready so we can get to the courtyard. Us two and someone from student council will be spending all day greeting the groups who arrive."

Charlotte nodded, put on the remaining clothes, and rushed out the door toward the courtyard. "Todays going to be a great day! I can't think of anything that could ruin it!"

**********************

"Hello, Miss Charlotte." Sol greeted as Charlotte and Mary arrived at the front of the school. "Been some time. I see that you two are waiting for the other school's students here."

"WHY?! I HATE MY LIFE!"  Why in the world did Sol of all people have to be here? The annoying boy who was for some reason in love with her was now here to ruin her plans to see her brother! "What will big brother think when he sees this? He'll be so upset that I chose someone else! Sol, you idiot!"

"Charlotte is a bit surprised, but I'm sure that she's glad to be here." Mary assured after Charlotte remained quiet.

"Of course. It must be exciting to see your brother again." Sol observed. "You seem close with him... It's good to have a healthy relationship with siblings."

"Just what is he implying? Is he saying that he knows that I prefer big brother over him? GOOD! GO SOMEWHERE ELSE ALREADY AND LEAVE ME BE, RICH KID!"  Charlotte sighed and looked out over the hills near the city. Something was on the risen ground and approaching...