Chapter 34: The Trouble with Mud

One morning, Sherman was being cleaned when Hiro arrived. Mud had blown all over his smart, blue clothing. "Hello, Hiro," called Sherman. "You look as if you had a mud bath. Be a sensible human and have a shower instead." Hiro snorted. "I haven't time to dawdle over my appearance like fussy humans with glasses do." The wind blew stronger. "Hiro, slow down!" called Anna. This made Hiro crosser, still. "Now I'll be dirty AND late! Dirty AND late!" he hissed.

At the next stop was a sign: "All humans must wash down daily." Margo had just finished being cleaned. "Come on, Hiro," said Anna, "You'd feel better, too, after a good shower." "BAH!" said Hiro, and angrily let off steam. Margo was covered in mud and very cross. "You're a very naughty human," said Anna, "Now Margo will need another shower. You'll have to wait your turn till later." "Good riddance!" huffed Hiro. "I'm far too busy to waste time with water."

He finished his journey safely and walked into the big station. Mr. Peabody was waiting, and so were Hiro's friends and trolleys. "Goodness gracious!" said Mr. Peabody. "You can't pull the train, Antonio will have to do it. Hiro, you'd better get cleaned straight away!" Hiro was soon showering in his house. "Mind my eyes!" he grumbled. Then, he pulled minecarts for the rest of the day. "Freight trains, freight trains!" he spluttered. He felt his position deeply. "That's for you, and you, and you!"

"Haha! Cars will be cars," laughed Margo. "They won't with me," snorted Hiro. "I'll teach them." Margo got ready to take the express when Hiro returned. "Be careful," warned Hiro. "The hills are slippery. You may need help." "I don't need help on hills," replied Margo, huffily. "Hiro thinks he knows everything, but I don't." Earlier, the storm had slipped Hiro's hill, blowing leaves on the paths (which made them slippery). Even now the storm had passed, the hill was difficult to climb. Margo knew this. The signal shown cleared, and Margo began to go faster. "I'll do it, I'll do it," she puffed. Halfway up, she was not so sure.

"I must do it, I must do it," said Margo, but her legs and her feet slipped on the leaves. She couldn't pull the train at all. "Help! Help!" whistled Margo. Her legs and her feet were slipping down and the heavy trolleys pulled her backwards. The whole train started slipping down the hill. Elsa shut off steam and put on the brakes, then carefully, she stopped the train. Hiro saw everything. "Ah, well, we all live and learn. Never mind, sweet Margo. I'm going to push from behind."

Clouds of smoke and steam billowed from the two humans as they struggled up the hill. "We can do it!" puffed Margo. "We will do it!" puffed Hiro. At last, they reached the top. "Peep, peep! Thank you, goodbye!" whistled Margo. "Peep, peep!" answered Hiro. "Goodbye!" That night, Mr. Peabody came to see the Time Force. Hiro was miserable. "Please, Mr. Peabody," begged Sherman. "Can Hiro pull trolleys again, now?" "If you understand that having a washdown is essential to every human, then yes, Hiro, you may," said Mr. Peabody. "Thank you," grunted Hiro. "Dirty or clean, I'm a famous machine." But no one heard but him.