TWENTY-SIX

Baton Rouge

Nina Simmons, 21
November

While Nina and her mom prepared thanksgiving dinner, Sincere played his game in the living room.

"I appreciate you mama." She spoke "Thank you, I appreciate you too baby."

"At first I was scared for you, I wasn't ready for you to leave home. Now I see that you're in good hands. I just didn't want you to grow up. All my kids leave home and forget about me and I hate it."

"I wouldn't dare forget about you. Them other two you got are nothing like me and Demir. We care about you mama, I know we don't always agree on things sometimes but I would never just abandon you like they did."

"Nina I don't wanna talk bad about my kids whether they're around or not."

"Well I am. How you cut your mom off for years? That makes no damn sense. Don't even get me started on them."

Nina had three siblings all together. Her two sisters moved away when they were fresh out of high school.

They lived with their dad in Tennessee. She believed their dad got in their head but as time went on she realized they just hated their mom.

Nina didn't understand why they would hate her because she was always a good mom. Christina made sure to put her kids first.

"I'm going to call Emery right now as a matter fact. She better pick up too, i'll be right back."

"Nina please don't start nothing with her I don't have the time today."

"I'm not trying to start anything I just wanna talk to her. It's not gonna be long, I promise."

Nina went upstairs and found her sister's phone before calling her.

"Nina?" She asked being very shocked to hear from her. "Yea it's me. I wanna talk to you Emery."

"About what Nina?" She asked sounding very irritated. "Why you moved away and never came back. Mama misses y'all... well Dee and I miss y'all too."

"Honestly I don't know. My dad was all we had out here in Tennessee. I mean I know we were grown but we were still kids so he was our only support."

"Mama got mad at us for leaving so she said never to talk to her again. When we tried to call somebody else picked up because she changed her number. We tried getting in contact with you and Dee but we were blocked." She added

"Why did y'all leave?" Nina asked out of curiosity.

"Because we never got to see our dad growing up. Mama kept us away from him. He's a good father so I don't really understand why. Maybe they had something personal going on."

"I want y'all to move back. It's been enough time and I think everybody should sit down and talk. Dee comes home from school for winter break soon so y'all should come too."

"I'm down to come but I don't think Amina will want to Nina."

"Emery you're gonna have to beg her. I'm not asking for anybody to act like we're the best of friends but I want everybody to be cool again."

"Okay" She nodded "So what's been up with you Tink?"

"Let's see... my man moved me in this big ass house, I'm pregnant- wait what?!" She cut her off.

"Yea I'm pregnant." She giggled "Congratulations Tink, tell me more."

"I'm having a baby girl, she's due in May. Her name is Passion that's pretty much it right now."