Seventeen

"I hardly think Osferth needs a detailed timeline of our sex life," 

"she asked me if I would still love her if she were a worm," 

─── ✦⋅ ☆⋅✦ ───

Time seemed to slip away unnoticed as I engaged in conversation with Uhtred, Sihtric, and Finan. Our dialogue was abruptly interrupted by the arrival of a familiar figure. Despite harbouring an immediate desire to confront him, I resisted the urge. Haestan had journeyed all the way to Rumcofa for a purpose I presumed to be significant.

"This information will be worth your while," he stated, prompting me to bite my lip to quell any impulsive retorts. Sensing my discomfort, Finan draped an arm around my waist, understanding all too well the agitation stirred by the presence of the Dane before us.

"Everything you do and say is always a bunch of shit," I remarked, redirecting the attention to myself. Haestan, unfazed, acknowledged my presence with a nod. "Female warrior," he remarked, to which I rolled my eyes "It's truly a shame how our last encounter ended" he lamented. 

"Get to the point before I gut you from the inside out" I warned, to which he raised an impressed eyebrow.

His revelation caught me off guard, the queen's lifeless form lying beneath a sombre shroud. I couldn't stifle the gasp that escaped me as her covered figure was respectfully concealed once more.

"This cannot be the doing of Sigtryggr, he would not be so reckless," I asserted, finding agreement in Uhtred's nod. "Sihtric and I will journey to Eoferwich to verify this news with Sigtryggr," Uhtred declared "And what of the rest of us?" I inquired.

"You shall remain in Rumcofa for the time being," Uhtred decided, to which I acquiesced.

"We will approach Edward to relay this information, lest both Danes and Saxons point fingers and risk plunging us into unnecessary conflict," he added, prompting a weary sigh from me.

For years, we had enjoyed a fragile peace, yet it took merely one event to shatter it all.

── ✦⋅ ☆⋅✦ ──

Uhtred and Sihtric had departed some time ago, leaving Rumcofa eerily quiet in their absence. With little to occupy our time, Osferth, Finan, and I decided to pay a visit to young Uhtred, hoping to lift his spirits amidst the prevailing uncertainty.

"I'm simply suggesting that it might be time for you to consider settling down," I remarked, casting a meaningful glance at Osferth, who responded with a polite smile.

"It's hardly fair for the women of Rumcofa to be vying for the attention of a man like you," Finan chimed in, prompting me to raise an eyebrow in amusement.

"And should they be vying for someone like you instead?" I countered, to which Finan sighed but couldn't suppress the grin tugging at his lips.

"Ah, here we go again with your absurd questions," Finan retorted, eliciting a quizzical smile from Osferth and a hearty laugh from me.

"Imagine this, we were in bed late one night" Finan began, but Osferth awkwardly cleared his throat, leading me to interject, "Not like that, silly," as I slapped his arm, causing him to blush. Yet Finan, undeterred, chuckled before continuing, "Oh no, that happened hours prior," much to my chagrin as I swatted his arm this time.

"I hardly think Osferth needs a detailed timeline of our sex life," I remarked, as Finan continued to laugh. "Right, so one night," Finan resumed, "she asked me if I would still love her if she were a worm," he recounted incredulously, prompting laughter from Osferth.