Chapter - 1

"Operation successful" as the crucial surgery reaches its conclusion my words bring a smile to the faces of all the doctors present

"Operation successful" as the crucial surgery reaches its conclusion my words bring a smile to the faces of all the doctors present. "We'll keep him under observation for 3 days and then we'll discharge him" I affirm before removing my face mask and surgical cap exiting the operation theatre. Despite having performed numerous critical surgeries, the joy that follows a new one is refreshing and joyful every time, as if performing a new one.

"He's out of danger now, we'll discharge him after 3 days" I inform the patient's parents, the tears of joy that leaves their eyes trailing down their skins, prayers escaping their mouth always leaves an overwhelming effect on me. I adore being a surgeon, the challenges that it brings with itself provokes you to unravel a side of yourself that you never knew existed.

"So what are your plans now?" Amna interrogates while I shuffle my things in my back "probably going home" I laugh at her expression. "Wanna hang out" her voice contains a twinge of mischief "all of us doctors are going out, how about you join us?" I would have considered her offer if I didn't have any plans but it is Zayan's birthday, I have to plan for his surprise and if I miss it he'll set the whole house on fire. "No, you guys enjoy" I hang my bag on my shoulder "I'll get going bye".

As I step out of the hospital, a wave of relief washes over me. Despite the exhaustion lingering in my bones from the grueling surgery, there's an undeniable sense of triumph pulsing through my veins. The crisp air outside feels invigorating against my skin, and I can't help but smile as I breathe in deeply, filling my lungs with newfound energy.

Stepping into the bakery my senses are invited with such pleasant smell of cakes and pastries. Every year without fail, I'm the first one to surprise my dumb brother with a delicious cake. We both argue too much, reflecting tom and Jerry but at the end it's him and I for eachother.

I select the perfect cake for Zayan a chocolate cake, keeping aside the fact that I love him but my mischievousness couldn't resist and I write a special phrase on his cake.
Happy birthday donut. It sounds so normal but it's an inside joke, her crush used to call him donut but when he approached her she left him saying he's cute and she always considered him as her brother. I remember teasing him continuously for a week. For someone with a narcissistic attitude getting brother zoned is a direct shot on their ego.

With the cake cradling in my arms, I hail the cab sitting on the backseat thrilled for the joy awaiting me.

(⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)⁠✧⁠*⁠。(⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)⁠✧⁠*⁠。(⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)⁠✧⁠*✧⁠*⁠。

With entire house enveloped with darkness only the lounge is decorated with fairy lights and Polaroids of us all. Zayan is traveling Dreamland right now unaware of the stunt I'm going to pull on him. I had to strive to get my parents consent because it'll lead him to a cardiac arrest.

Waking the actor inside me I stand next to Zayan's door banging it as loud as I can. He bursts out of his room with keeping a hand on his chest "what happened? I had a heart attack"
I pretend to cry and tremble with fear and slam my myself on his chest "Zayan... there" I point towards the lounge where we've planned a surprise for him "for god sake, laiba tell me what happened" his voice bursting with anxiety "where are mom and dad" his breathing fastens as I give no reply and gesture him towards the lounge. Without processing for a sec he runs towards the lounge panting swiftly.