Epi Twenty

Khadija POV

The morning sun rose above the horizon, casting a warm glow across the room. I had set my alarm early, determined to start the day with a workout. However, as I prepared to leave, a sudden impulse overtook me. I found myself reaching for my phone and dialing Ahmed's number.

Conflicting emotions bubbled up inside me as I waited for him to pick up. Anger and pride battled within me, while a deep-seated sense of longing tugged at my heartstrings. I missed Ahmed more than I cared to admit, missed the way he used to make me feel like the most important person in the world with his sweet gestures and loving words.

Despite my reservations, I decided to reach out to him on WhatsApp. My fingers trembled as I typed out my message, hoping against hope that he would respond. But the minutes ticked by with no reply, and my heart sank.

Now, as I sit here, I can't help but wonder what went wrong between us. Could we ever go back to the way things used to be? I hope this day won't get too boring as I try to make sense of my emotions and the memories that still haunt me.

I received a call from Miss Danna, my boss, informing me of an upcoming urgent meeting that was scheduled to take place in an hour.

"Hey Khad," Miss Danna said, "I apologize for the short notice, but we have an important meeting about the job proposal that is up in an hour, and I need you to be present. Is that okay with you?"

I responded, "Sure, Miss Danna. I'll prepare now and ensure that I'm ready to join the meeting."

Miss Danna thanked me and ended the call.

I knew I had to move quickly. I dashed to the bathroom and began preparing myself for the day, making sure to keep an eye on the time. The water in the shower felt invigorating as I lathered up with soap and shampoo, but I had to rush through it to save time.

Afterwards, I went to the kitchen and grabbed a chilled glass of chocolate milk that I had placed in the fridge the night before. The sweet and creamy taste of the chocolate milk was just what I needed to energize me for the day ahead. However, I couldn't linger on it for too long. I had to get out of the door and start walking as fast as I could towards the office.

As I walked, my feet felt like they were moving in slow motion while my thoughts were racing. I had to make it to the office on time, no matter what. And when I finally arrived, I saw the owner of the company standing there. I had only met him twice before, but I knew that his presence meant that something urgent had come up. I took a deep breath, trying to compose myself, before walking up to him to see what was going on.

Miss Danna greeted me warmly and gestured for me to take a seat. As I sat down, she settled into her own chair and we both faced the man who was sitting across from us, his attention focused on the laptop in front of him.

"Good morning, sir!" I greeted him respectfully.

"Good morning," he replied, his voice serious. "Are you aware of why you're here?"

I shook my head, feeling a little nervous. "No, sir. I still don't know."

The man nodded, typing a few more commands into his laptop before looking back up at me.

He started by breaking the news that the company was currently facing a significant shortage of staff, and despite several attempts at hiring, no one had expressed interest in accepting the offer. This was a worrisome situation, and we both listened intently as he continued to explain the gravity of the matter.

Suddenly, our boss's gaze shifted towards me, and he asked if I had any reservations about being assigned to Middle East ventures. I could feel my heart pounding, but I knew this was an opportunity to step up and show my willingness to contribute to the team. I took a deep breath and confidently replied, "Yes, Sir! I am willing to accept it."