Mitch

I didn't want to freak the guy out. He seemed scared, and in pain, so I left him alone for a minute and peeked over the edge of the tree. It was daytime, so all the mobs were gone, but I didn't want to move Jerome yet.
Speaking of Jerome, I go back to him. He finished the water a minute ago, so I take the bottle and store it in my quiver. He keeps giving me scared looks, like I'll hurt him, so I speak up.

"I won't hurt you."

"Huh?" He looks at me, curious this time.

"I'm not gonna hurt you. I swear it." I smile, trying to look nice.

"Oh." Is all he says. We sit for a minute.

"What's your favorite color?" The question pops out of my mouth before I can stop it. He gives me a look, then to my surprise, bursting out laughing.

"It's green." He finally chokes out, patting the leaves next to him. Shooting a grin, I nonchalantly play with my dog tags.

"Didn't think I was so funny. Mine's red. Or black." He looks down to where I had already splint his ankle.

"That yours?" He asks, pointing to my checkered hoodie.

"Yea." I reply, looking at it. He smiles.

"Thanks." I glance at him.

"For what? Saving you? It's the least I can do." He nods.

"I knew you'd say that. Thanks anyways. I'd be dead if it weren't for y..." He trails off before finishing his sentence, his eyes widening as he looks over the horizon.

"What?" I ask, turning, then I see it.
A huge column of smoke is rising in the distance.