045 | acceptance

nishimura riki 
───────────

Life is one amazing creature. One second, you are on top of the world, and the next, you hit rock bottom. Sometimes, you stay on rock bottom longer before moving up to the top of the world again.

My father's death might be the best thing that happened to me, after Mai, of course. Tragically, my father's death was the best thing that happened to me. His death changed me for the better. And that says a lot about my relationship with him.

I wish my father died alone instead of forcing Sato Mateo to accompany him. I could have been given at least one chance to meet Sato Mateo again as I am older. According to Mai, I was why he continued to work for the royal family despite my parents being rascals.

Sato Mateo was misunderstood and accused of everything and anything. Everyone picked on him as if they all needed to be mean to someone. And Mai ended up being treated the same way.

Something I never expected to see was a beautiful bond between Mai and my mother. Since I have been busy with preparation for the coronation, Mai and my mother spend a lot of time with each other. One example is that my mother has been helping Mai with taking care of her mother.

After everything that has happened recently, there was a beautiful bond between them something I never expected, but something I really wanted.

Now. The biggest highlight and the most important milestone in my life is about to happen today. I have always known this day would come sooner or later, but it happened much earlier than I expected. If I had known this one year ago, I would have died out of stress on the spot.

It's a good thing I didn't know my coronation would be today. If I found out and died, I would have never met Mai. A lot of things can happen during one year. Some years stand out more than others when you create core memories or complete an important milestone.

"Will you solemnly promise and swear to govern the peoples of Japan? Will you to your power cause Law and Justice, in Mercy, to be executed in all your judgements?" My mother asked.

"I will" I answered.

"And you promise to rededicate and dedicate your life to serving the people of Japan?" My mother asked.

"I promise" I answered.

"The crown on your head symbolizes authority, legitimacy, leadership, and honor. It also symbolizes a new era and legacy. This is the start of your era and legacy, King Riki" My mother said while she placed the crown on my head.

After the crown was placed on my head. I stood up to turn around. The crowd in front of me stood up and bowed. Bowing is mostly used as a form of greeting in Japan, but it's also used to show respect. Seeing thousands of thousands of people bowing to me at the same is surreal.

I can feel their acceptance from every single one. They have put their loyalty and trust in me and accepted me as their king. Seeing and feeling their acceptance have helped me accept myself and my destiny. I can do this because I want to do this.

⛅️

"What are you smiling at?" Mai asked me while laughing.

I was staring at the wall. I had a mirror in front of me but chose to stare at the wall instead. I walked up to Mai to kiss her and then hugged her. Call us what you want, foolish teenagers in love or the honeymoon couple, I don't care. The only thing I care about is Mai and how happy I am every time I see her.

Someone knocked on the door and then opened it. I let go of Mai as I looked at the door, seeing Nicholas, Hinata, and Kenji. I knew my mother had invited them to the coronation but I didn't expect them to come. It's obvious they are uncomfortable and regret knocking on the door.

"Congratulations" Hinata said to break the silence.

"And?" I replied.

"And we are sorry" Kenji added.

"Especially to you Mai. We are sorry" Nicholas said.

Mai looked at me out of confusion. I understand her. I would react the same way if three strangers suddenly approached me and apologized.

"I don't know why you are apologizing. But whatever the reason is, I am glad you can stand for what you have done" Mai said.

"You should have seen Kinmyaku and Jishin recently. We are not the only ones who want to apologize. Every wall in both schools is covered in your faces, every little inch" Hinata responded.

"Even in Jishin?" Mai questioned.

Hinata nodded. The Royal Court and I have discussed plans about my education and how I should balance it with my position. We haven't reached a decision yet. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do when we discussed it since it was before the confession.

However, after meeting Nicholas, Kenji, and Hinata again, I have more to think about when it comes to my education. All I know is that I don't want to be known as the only member of the royal family who dropped out of school.

Even though I have reached a point where I have accepted my heritage, legacy, and title. I still want to experience so-called "normal things". I need to feel like Nishimura Riki to be able to perform well as King Riki.