033 | everything is (not) alright

nishimura riki 
───────────

Based on all the chaos that is going on in the royal castle right now, I expected His Majesty to keep me locked inside here forever. I'm basing it on his reaction and behavior, as well as personal knowledge. Maybe, His Majesty woke up on the right side of the bed today.

Hopefully, he won't figure out I left the castle yesterday to see Mai. If he finds out, I will never be allowed to step outside even if His Majesty wakes up on the right side of the bed.

I haven't seen him since that day when he screamed at me for spending time with Mai. But something His Majesty will never understand is that I know Mai better than he does. And I also know her father better than he does.

Speaking of Mai. It felt weird to meet her yesterday. Not because I see her differently but because I know her biggest secret and she doesn't know mine yet. This is a sign I should tell her before it's too late. Even if my view on Mai hasn't changed since there is a high risk her view of me will change. She will probably hate me. And honestly, she has all the right to do it even if it will hurt me.

As I stepped out of the car, my eyes met Nicholas. His smile faded as he started to walk towards me.

"Are you okay? I heard the news" Nicholas said.

I assume he means the news about Sato Mateo.

"It's fine. It's been chaotic but it's getting better" I replied.

"But aren't you worried? Didn't Sato Mateo threaten His Majesty once? What if his daughter threatens you too?" Nicholas asked.

The mention of Mai made my heart stop and sink. I don't like it when people need to mention her and her father in the same sentence as if they are the same person. I don't like it because I don't want others to do the same with His Majesty and me.

It's true, that Sato Mateo did threaten His Majesty, according to His Majesty himself. Mai might threaten me once she finds out about my position, but that's another thing. All I know is that Sato Mateo did not threaten His Majesty.

"We have everything under control, don't worry," I said while I placed my hand on Nicholas' shoulder.

With we I mean I. I have everything under control and pretend that His and Her Majesty also have everything under control. It's called media training.

⛅️

The conversation I had with Nicholas this morning has stayed inside my head. After every new thought, a new reason has been added to why I want to escape to Mai. I am worried about her and I want and need to make sure she is okay. I'm scared that something bad will happen to her when I'm not there to protect and be there for her.

Despite my worries, I know the best option is to take distance right now. Now when I know His Majesty hired a personal paparazzi for me, I have to be more careful. There is a risk His Majesty has ordered the paparazzi to follow after Mai as well. I cannot change the past but I can affect the future. I have to be careful for Mai's sake.

"Is everything alright?" Her Majesty asked me as I sat down in our car.

She only needed a second to see the ongoing war of thoughts inside my head.

"Everything is alright" I lied.

"You didn't meet that girl?" Her Majesty asked.

"No. I haven't seen her in a while" I lied.

Her Majesty nodded and the car headed out on the road. We sat in silence for the rest of the ride. While passing by Jishin, I noticed small groups of students walking out from the main entrance. All of them had their eyes glued on one phone.

As we passed by and the Jishin students were out of sight, I felt Her Majesty staring at me. I looked away, pretending I was looking somewhere else. I know His Majesty knows, but I still pretend I don't know.

The pretending stopped once we reached the castle. We only had time to step out of the car until one of our servants came running in full panic.

"Her Majesty. I have an order from His Majesty to wait outside" The servant said.

Her Majesty let out a sigh and ignored the order. The servant tried to stop her, but once Her Majesty has her aim on something, she will never let it go.

Suddenly, a loud sound of a shot echoed through the castle. Her Majesty dropped all her things and started to run as if she knew where the shot came from. I wanted to follow after her but the servant stopped me, and asked me to wait.

I listened to her and decided to wait until I heard a scream. The type of scream you hear in horror movies. I started to run and searched for Her Majesty. I noticed the door to His Majesty's office being open. I walked towards it but before I had a chance to take a look, another servant pulled me away.

He stopped me from walking inside and asked me to go to my bedroom. I pushed him aside and walked into His Majesty's office. Her Majesty was sitting on her knees in front of His Majesty who was lying on the floor. His chest was covered in blood.

And so did another man.