Family Ties

The next morning, Bellarose woke up feeling relieved. She had already eaten breakfast and undergone another medical examination with Madam Pomfrey. The news was encouraging: she could return to classes, although physical activity remained limited.

She lay in her infirmary bed, looking forward to reuniting with her friends in class and resuming her studies. However, she needed to prioritize her health and avoid overexertion.

Nymphadora entered the infirmary, her vibrant magenta hair catching Bellarose's eye as she approached her cousin's bedside. They exchanged warm smiles, and Nymphadora asked about Bellarose's well-being, genuinely concerned.

Nymphadora: "How are you feeling today, Bell? Any improvement?"

Bellarose nodded, a small grin on her face.

Bellarose: "Much better, Nymph. I'm allowed to go back to classes, although I still need to take it easy."

They chatted about classes and friends. However, at one point, Nymphadora's expression turned serious, and she took a deep breath, her eyes locking onto Bellarose's.

Nymphadora's voice was steady as she began to share something important.

Nymphadora: "Bell, there's something I've been looking into. You know I'm training to become an Auror, right?"

Bellarose nodded, curious about where this was going.

Bellarose: "Yes..."

Nymphadora's gaze remained fixed on Bellarose as she continued.

Nymphadora: "Well, last year was the first time my family heard about your existence. And since then, I've been trying to piece together some information. You see, I wanted to find the adoption papers, the ones that officially made you a part of the Malfoy family."

Bellarose's brow furrowed in confusion as she listened intently.

Bellarose: "That makes sense. But what did you find?"

Nymphadora took a moment to collect her thoughts before she revealed what she had discovered.

Nymphadora: "I found the adoption papers, Bell. However, there's something strange about them. The Tonks family section is completely empty. We never received the official papers."

Bellarose's eyes widened in surprise and concern. She hadn't expected this revelation, but she wasn't sure what it meant. Seeing the confusion on Bellarose's face, Nymphadora continued talking.

Nymphadora: "It means that we have proof that we were never given the choice to..."

She took another breath.

Nymphadora: "...adopt you."

Bellarose was left speechless by Nymphadora's revelation. Her mind was a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions. She had always believed she was legally adopted by the Malfoy family, but now it seemed that might not be the case. The weight of the situation began to sink in.

Bellarose: "This... this can't be right, Nymph. I've been living with the Malfoy family for as long as I can remember."

Nymphadora looked deeply concerned as she replied.

Nymphadora: "I know, Bell, but legally, it seems there might be a gap in the adoption process. I don't know how or why this happened, but it's something we need to look into. And to be fair, that's not the important part."

Bellarose's confusion deepened, and a sense of unease settled in her chest. She looked at Nymphadora, her cousin's determined expression making her realize the gravity of the situation.