Troubles of this Life (Smallpaw's POV) [EDITED]

I was up before the sun rose, ready to show my son what had to be done. Not that he knew that he was my son.

I walked to his den, figuring out how much I should tell him. Would he think I was a lunatic if I said I was his father?

Probably.

That's why I wouldn't tell him!

To my surprise, Bramblestar was already up. He was having a quiet conversation with Dandelionstripe.

"I wouldn't mind, Dearest," Dandelionstripe said quietly. "Just as long as you did just that."

"I'll try," Bramblestar whispered.

"She has to stay as far away from you as possible."

"I know. She'll never know," he said.

"I'm going to go get something to eat," said Dandelionstripe.

I jumped and hid behind the vines by the entrance of the den, praying to Starclan that she wouldn't notice me. 

I waited a few moments before going inside Bramblestar's den. Starclan forbid he knew I had eavesdropped.

"Smallpaw," he grunted.

"Hello," I said.

"Well?" he demanded. "Spit it out."

"You have to make me a warrior!" I blurted.

Bramblestar twitched his whiskers. "I wouldn't make you a warrior unless Starclan themselves told me to."

"Well... I'm... I'm..."

"You're the lowest role there is. And I'm the leader. So, naturally, my world outrules yours."

Frustration crept up my spine and I yowled, "You're making a big mistake!"

Bramblestar stood up, his eyes void of any warmth. "Get out of my den."

"But-"

"I said get OUT!"

I gave him a last loathing look before running out, my legs shaking. Those accursed shaking legs! 

Oatstone, who was guarding the entrance, said "Hey, you!"

Since I would've probably said something that would've gotten me in trouble, I just turned and looked at him.

"Change the moss in the warrior den," he ordered.

Without a word, I stalked to the den, starting to take out the old moss. Many of the warriors were still sleeping. Good, I thought. Less work for me.

After a while, Slimefoot came up to me, her expression soft.

"Hello, Mother," I said sourly.

"Listen, I'm glad he assigned you to me!" she said. "All I have to do is pretend to be angry once in a while and then you can go on living a normal life!"

"As normal as this life can get," I snorted.

"Well, I won't be the one to tell you to stop complaining to Bramblestar," she promised.

"All cats trained or in training gather around Highrock for a clan meeting!" Bramblestar yowled.

Oh great, just what I needed. More things to do with my Bramblestar.

Slimefoot guided me to Highrock, where almost everybody was already gathered. 

"Two seasons have passed since an awful tragedy, and the deputies and the executors and I have come to a sad but necessary decision. Mouseclaw, step forward."