We Take A Zebra To Vegas

🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹

🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹🔸🔹

------
Ellie's POV
------

"Do you think you're special, Lightning Thief?" I heard a voice ask. "Do you think you cannot be replaced? I gave you the tools to steal the master bolt, only to watch it taken from you. That mistake has been corrected. But there is too much at stake for you to fail me again. The war ahead of us. The war beyond Zeus and Poseidon's war. Give me reason to question your worthiness again, your loyalty, and there is another that just might be ready to take your place."

Percy and I were watching from inside a closet, only being able to see a man sitting at a desk, talking to someone.

"Don't let yourself become distracted." The man told the other person before turning himself in our direction. "Isn't that right, little heroes? Not time for us to meet quite yet. Run along now. And show me what you two are capable of."

....

I didn't jump awake like most of my nightmares. But that didn't really feel like one. I looked around the back of the truck and saw Luke, Grover and Annabeth sleeping and Percy staring at me.

"What?" I whispered.

"What happened back at the waterpark?" He asked me, his voice curious but also concerned.

"Nothing—"

"Ellie, I'm not stupid." Percy interrupted me. "Annabeth and I were looking on the complete other side of the park, and I get this chill up my spine, and I can't help but think that something happened to you. Do you remember the last time that happened?"

I thought back to when we were 8 and our mom stepped away from us to talk to a lifeguard who kept distracting her. I was in the pool and some kid was learning how to swim. After our mom got us into swimming, Percy and I would beg her to take us every now and then to the pool, but we stopped going after this. A kid panicked because he was struggling to keep his head over the water and he used me as leverage to get up. I still don't think the kid knew that he was drowning me, but Percy still holds a grudge against him.

I sighed, I had to tell him.

"Luke and I found the shield in the Thrill Ride O' Love ride at the park." I started. "But in order to get it, one of us had to sit in this golden chair. Sacrifice themselves for the quest."

"You sat in the chair?" Percy asked me. "Why?"

"I knew you'd be in good hands if I didn't make it. I wasn't supposed to make it. But Luke spoke to Hephaestus, and he listened."

I saw Percy nod. Our conversation got interrupted by the sound of Grover pushing on an air vent in the roof of the truck.

"Does that help?" Grover asked Annabeth.