Chapter Thirty-Five

Brantley's POV:

I was still fuming from Alex's words in the garage when Ryan crossed the finish line, leading the pack, Chase coming in a very close second. I was happy for them, I really was since they both had the best finishes of their careers at this particular track this weekend, but I just wasn't feeling the party that I knew was going to happen after the post-race things were done. All I wanted right now was to load my family up and put this place and that son of bitch as far behind me as possible before I changed my mind and gave him the beating he deserved. The problem was, I knew that Delaney was going to want to be there to help congratulate Ryan on his win and to rub it in Chase's face that he had been one-upped by his best friend.

So, because I loved her and only wanted her to take the best and happiest moments from this race, I fought the urge to drag her away from the track.

"I'd know that set of broody shoulders anywhere." said Luke, one of my closest friends and fellow musician from behind me, forcing me to tear my eyes away from Delaney and the kids as they stood in the winner's circle waiting for Ryan to make his way there.

"I didn't know you were here." I said, giving him a big bro hug before turning my attention back to Delaney.

"Funny, I knew you were." he said with a shit-eating smirk on his face.

"And how's that?"

"Well, when a tattooed biker type starts slinging punches in the garage and the one he punched just so happened to be the ex-husband of a driver, it doesn't take long for word to travel." said Luke. "Good job by the way. From what I heard, he had a whole lot more coming than what you gave him."

"He damn sure did." I said.

"Also heard he's going to be singing soprano for the foreseeable future thanks to Chase's wife."

"Yeah, make my balls hurt just thinking about it."

The two of us fell silent then, watching as the crowd got bigger. In the distance, I could hear what I assume was Ryan's car making its way to the winners circle.

"I'd like to meet her BG." said Luke after a while. "I'm sure Caroline would too."

"So Care can corrupt her? I think not." I said, feeling a smile spread across my face for the first time since the altercation in the garage.

"You're right." said Luke, laughing. "Anyway, are you coming or are you gonna watch from here?"

Luke and I had just made it to the winners circle and I had just lifted Braylin into my arms as I wrapped my other around Delaney when Ryan's Menards car came to a stop in front of us. Everyone around us began to hoop and holler, all of them happy for Ryan. Ryan was just unhooking the steering wheel when I saw Layla and Rayna come up to the car. Ryan pleased a blistering kiss on her lips before breaking it and climbing out of the car. The crowd really went wild then, especially when Rayn stood atop the car. Confetti started to fly and champagne began to spray. And once again, I found myself smiling.

Alex might have been the only bad thing about this weekend and that was perfectly fine. Being here with Delaney, watching Ryan win, and hanging out with some good people were just a few things that I would carry with me for a long time. But the one thing that would stay with me no matter what was that it was at this place, at this track, and on this weekend that I had admitted my feelings for the woman I loved. And for that, I would never regret a thing that happened here.

Delaney's POV:

It was late and all four kids were sleeping soundly in the back by the time we made it back to Jefferson. So when Brantley suggested that the kids and I stay at his place tonight, there was no way that I was going to deny him. Truth was, even if it hadn't been late, I didn't want to go to my parents and sleep alone in a bed when I could stay here with him and wake up snuggled in his arms.