Chapter Thirty-One

Delaney's POV:

I had hoped that my experience with Alex and his connection to William Byron had prepared me for the onslaught of fans that took it upon themself to put themselves in the path of a celebrity, just to say that they saw one. But I was so wrong. Nothing –and I do mean nothing– could have prepared me for the rabid fans that recognized Brantley as soon as he climbed out of my SUV after parking. We had both hoped that by parking near the team garages that we could sneak in without getting immediately recognized, but that was an epic fail. Fans had immediately started yelling his name and cameras had begun to flash wildly. And it only got worse when he ignored them and came around to the passenger side and opened my door.

Boy, did the questions start then. Fans yelling, asking who I was, people wanting to know if he and I were together. Others commented on how I favored Amber in looks. And I'm not going to lie, that one stung a little bit since it was one of the things I struggled with daily even though Brantley had been adamant that my physical similarities had nothing to do with his attraction to me, that it was a mere coincidence that she and I shared some of the same physical characteristics.

And then, like a light bulb had clicked on, recognition hit them as they made the connection to who I was and what I had recently been through with Alex. I did my best to tune out the questions that came then but a few sank in, one of them being if I was the reason that Alex had cheated, asking if I had been seeing Brantley behind Alex's back. Again, that one stung and I wanted to lash out at the idiot that had asked it but instead, I let Brantley huddle me and the kids into him and race us towards the gates. As we got close, I could see Amanda, Layla, and each of their security team members waiting for us.

Once we were away from the fans and safely behind the gates, Brantley stopped in his tracks and spun me so that I was looking into his eyes. He placed both his hands on my cheeks, cupping them, letting his thumbs graze over my skin. "Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, I will be. That was just... a lot." I replied, not wanting to let my anger over the insinuations that the fans had made ruin my day. It had been too long since I'd been at the track, too long since I had hung out with my friends, and too long since I had had a weekend where I could just be with good people and have a little fun.

Seemingly satisfied with my answer, Brantley placed his lips over mine with a quick kiss, causing Amanda and Layla both to whistle with how I turned to jello in his arms. I mean, who could blame me? Any other woman in that situation would do the same exact thing.

Brantley had just broken the kiss but was still holding me to him with one arm while his other hugged Barrett and Braylin to him while Chloe and Colton stood with Amanda and Layla when Amanda said "Let's head back to the haulers and away from the rabbids for a bit. I'm too damn hormonal to deal with them without getting myself a damn charge." Her words made all of us laugh and added some much needed levity to the moment.

"Yeah, I can't have that." laughed Brantley. "Chase might try to kick my ass if I let you get sent to the county jail."

"BG, I think you know damn well Chase can hold his own." said Amanda. "Pretty sure he proved that a few months ago when y'all were messing around in the yard." She turned to me then and added, "who knew that the kids' bounce-house could turn into a damned wrestling ring for the adults."

I couldn't help but laugh, picturing Brantley and Chase rolling around in the bounce house. I liked Chase, and had seen him hold his own in more than one fight when tempers had flared, but no matter what, my money was on Brantley.

"Ryan just texted me. He and Chase are on Chase's hauler." said Layla, nuzzling the little bundle of joy sleeping in her cocoon like sling as we made our way further onto the 'authorized personnel' sections.