Chapter Eight

Brantley's POV:

It didn't take me long to realize that Nick had been right, that out of all the applications I had for the position of principal/chief administrator, I knew deep down that Delaney was the the perfect choice. Just seeing how she had been with the kids was all the proof I needed that she would be wonderful with children. And if everything Nick had said about her accomplishments and her work in the public school system was true, then there was no doubt in my mind that she would be an awesome fit for ARC.

But even though I knew all of that, I still couldn't force myself to send the 'send' button on the screen of my phone. This was a major step for me, putting someone in a position that should have been Amber's, having someone execute her vision for the school and make it everything that she had one day dreamed that it would be. It was the one position that I knew I had to get right the first time because putting the wrong person in the position could destroy everything that I was working for.

My mind continued to play tug-of-war, trying to figure out if I should just make the call or not. Years ago when I was struggling with a hard decision, I would turn to a full liquor bottle and drown my indecisiveness thinking that I would have a clear mind when the bottle was empty. That wasn't ever the case since most of the time I ended up still trying to make a decision while drunk off my ass; or even worse, hungover and my brain giving its best impression of a bass drum as it slammed into my skull.

Fed up with my indecisiveness, I took a deep breath and hit the button to connect the call. I waited with my heart beating wildly in my chest for it to be connected. After six rings, I was about to just hang up when the call connected. In the background, I heard a ruckus that quickly got quieter, as if she had stepped away from whatever she was doing in order to hear me better.

"Hello?"

"Hey Laney, it's Brantley."

"Oh, hey Brantley."

"I'm sure you're wondering why I would be calling..." I said, letting my sentence dangle –mostly because my nerves were off the charts right now.

"I think I have an idea. Daddy told me some things today, about what you are doing with the old community building."

"I kinda figured he would." I said, a small chuckle coming from my chest. "That man is your biggest champion, you know that right?"

"I do." she laughed. "I'm thankful everyday for him and for mama."

"I feel you on that." I said. "Anyway, I won't drag this out, that way I dont keep you from whatever you are doing."

Just as I was about to go into my whole job proposal thing, Delany cut me off. "Oh, we're just getting ready to roast some marshmallows and make s'mores. I'm such a bad parent in that aspect. Can you believe they are seven years old and I have never roasted marshmallows over an open flame for them? Their knowledge of s'mores is from a dang box of cereal that they just had to have one day in the store. A box of cereal that they wouldn't eat I might add."

"Well that's just a damn shame." I said, a genuine smile spreading across my face. "But you forget that I saw you with your kids today –and mine for that matter. And from what I saw, you are an amazing mother to them."

"I wouldn't say amazing but I try to be what my own mama was to me."

"And you're doing one helluva job at it." I said, meaning every single word.

"T-thanks."

"Anyway, as I was saying..." I said, shifting in the chair I was sitting in. The words I needed to say seemed to want to lodge in my chest but I pushed them down, needing to get this over with. "Since it seems that Nick told you what was happening with the community building, I can skip that part. I don't need to tell you why this project is so important to me and why I need to hire someone that is going to make this dream a reality in every way possible.