Its What Friends Do Vincent Valenine x Reader Chapter 1

Note: Hi guys!
Sooo it's been a while hasn't it? I got the AO3 curse and lots of stuff happened and I fell out of writing for a bit. Getting over my writers block slowly. I'm not fully happy with the story but it's the best I've done in a while...

Enjoy!

Note: I am currently hard at work making this into a slow burn multi-chapter story <3

As much as you wanted to crawl into your fancy hotel bed after a harsh battle, the group unanimously insisted going to the tavern together.

You fell to the peer pressure, hiding your reluctance behind a fake smile. You were just hoping Yuffie's loud rambling would distract everyone from the visible wincing of pain on your face.

The last battle was especially intense with at least a dozen hedgepies and a king surrounding the group. You had taken a potion and continued on, the adrenaline numbing the pain until you arrived at the hotel.

Your lower right ribs were in terrible pain but the more you tried to deny it hurt, the further your ribs would throb.

You sat down at a booth, keeping your hand tucked against your side. Any pressure against it made your head spin and your vision blur around the edges. Your head felt like it was swimming, something a stiff drink surely wouldn't hurt.

Your prayers were answered when Tifa walked over with two glasses. Her lips were stretched into a worried smile and her brow was furrowed with concern, "Hey, you doing okay, that last battle was tough, huh?"

You smiled back as best you could, accepting the drink. "I'm fine, just a few bruises and scratches, no biggie."

"Are you sure, Aerith can help you out."

"It's nothing some rest and a good shower won't take care of. You look roughed up yourself." You brought the glass to your lips, hoping the alcohol would help ease the pain.

"Hm, thanks back there for guarding my back when that hedgeking tried to attack well I was down. I felt like I owed you a drink for that." You clinked glasses and chuckled together, trying your best to ignore how each movement felt like a sharp needle poking into your lungs.

"No worries, it's what friends do after all." You assured her.

"Yo! Tifa! Cloud wants to play darts against you!" Yuffie called across the tavern. The woman sighed at the enthusiastic ninja, Cloud standing beside her looked about ready to scold her for yelling across the tavern.

"Want to watch me beat Cloud at darts?" The brunette offered.

You smiled and shook your head, "I'll watch from here."

Tifa tilted her head, "You sure you're okay? You're trembling. Maybe you should go up and rest."

"It's just cold here. I might take you up on that offer after I finish my drink."

"They do keep it chilly in here, well—if you say you're alright,"

Just breathing alone was painful, you could feel your vision starting to blur around the corners but you kept your smile. Tifa gave you one last look of concern before she got up and headed over to the dart boards.

Your hand was quivering around your glass and everything was getting heavy; your fingers, your legs, your eyelashes. The pain in your rib cage felt like a thorny rose bush was digging itself into your body, its thorns stabbed at your lungs and muscles until you bleed.

You glanced down at your dark shirt where your hand was resting. Your palm was slick and sticky with dark blood. Somehow you managed to stand, using the table as a crutch. You scanned the room for your teammates but they were all distracted by the heated dart-throwing constant.