Everlasting rose

It was the day we were leaving. I found another dress in the closet in my previously designated room. It was a light green summer dress. I put my hair up and noticed he had left a bundle of roses for me on the bed. I took the flowers and put on my shoes and ran to the car where he was waiting.

After an hour or so, I started noticing how familiar the road was. Was he taking me home? I asked him where we were headed, but every time he would answer the same, I would know once we get there.

Two or so hours later, I knew exactly where we were. We were back in the old town where everything started. He kept driving, I knew where he was headed now and the reasoning for the rose bundle.

We arrived at the graveyard. He dropped me off and told me he would be waiting for me at the entrance. I walked into the graveyard and went to fathers grave. I took one rose out of the bundle and placed it on his grave. I took another rose and turned around, and walked over to old old Philips cabin. I wasn't sure if he was still working in the graveyard, but knowing him, he would have to be 6 ft under before he would stop working his graveyard duties.

I knocked on the old wooden door, and it slowly creaked open. Old Philip greeted me and welcomed me inside. I told him I was just there to say my goodbyes. He smiled and told me that was thoughtful of me. I handed him the bundle of roses and told him it was a gift of gratitude for all his hard work. He thanked me, and I said my last goodbye and walked back.

Damien was waiting by the car. It was dusk already. He drove for a bit, and again, I knew where we were might be headed. We were on the hill me and Ethan frequented.

We sat down on a bench and watched the sunset as we held hands. I looked at him, and I found the moonlight again. His eyes were glimmering with stars. He had a whole galaxy hiding behind his stare.
I gave him a kiss, and he kissed me back. He teared up as I smiled at him. He told me this was our final goodbyes, he was willing to let me go now. "I love you, so it's only fair I let you go." He said as a single tear rolled down his cheek.
I had kept one last rose for him. I handed him the rose as I felt tears roll down my face. I hugged him and we stayed that way for a moment then he let go and we went back to the car.

He drove me to my apartment and walked me to the door. He handed me my keys. "Goodbye, Jade." I sobbed as I watched him leave. I wanted him to let go, even if it hurt both of us. The pain of staying would have been much greater than the pain of leaving. I unlocked the door and opened it. I was greeted by Enzo wagging his tail so aggressively that his whole body wobbled with it. I fell down to the floor, greeting him. I cried as I held him in my arms. He was still wiggling around as I was giving him kisses.

I got back up and went into the kitchen to see if he had been fed. His bowl was full. On the other hand, I noticed on the counter that Damien had left me one last rose. It was slowly dying and looked frail like it had been waiting there for a while. Around its stem, the familiar bow, tied into it, was another ring. A forever ring. Our love was never dying, but this was our final goodbye. Farewell, I whispered under my breath as I picked up the rose. Forever and always my Damien.

With all the love and freedom.
-J.O. 🥀❤️