Relinquish

I slept for a few hours and woke up early in the morning. I kept my eyes closed and imagined a diffrent time line where I wouldn't have found that original rose in the graveyard. A reality where I wouldn't have turned around to investigate what the noise was. Maybe then I wouldn't be here. Sophia might have still been alive. Me and Ethan would officiate our relationship, and he would give me a promise ring. Instead, I'm here and they're there, and he's here.

The door opened, and Damien walked in. I stumbled up to my feet, and he helped me walk to the kitchen for breakfast. I finished eating and waited for him to say something. "We'll be leaving in just a bit." He said and went back into his room. I sat waiting in the kitchen. He came back and told me we were leaving now. I got my shoes and I only got one on. My other foot was too swollen. He handed me a coat he had gotten from the closet in my designated room. I put it on, and he went out and started the car. I hopped out to the porch and carefully tried to walk down the stairs. Damien helped me down and carried me to the car. He locked the cabin and came back.

The car ride was long and silent. I fell asleep part of the way. He didn't take any stops and drove for a few hours.

When we finally arrived he had parked by the graveyard. I wasn't sure if we were about to visit Ethans grave or what. He opened the door for me and offered his hand to help me, which I had enough of him I could do it myself from here. He's waiting inside, he told me. Inside the graveyard, I asked him confused. You know the way he answered. I stumbled my way to the gates with a bit of help from Damien, unfortunately. I then told him to go away. I would be back. I promised him. He told me I had around 15 to 20 minutes and that he would never be far away. I figured he'd say that.

I kept walking into the graveyard and looked back, and he was gone. What if Ethan didn't show up. Where was he anyway? I just followed my usual path when I walked in the graveyard. I always visited my father. He had passed away many years ago when I was 13. I was only a month away from turning 14. There was never any real clear explanation for how or why he died. To this day, I don't know what happened. Even though he was long gone, I could still feel his comfort around when I would go visit his grave, now however I felt cold and unwell.

It took me a while, but I finally got to his grave. I sat down in front of fathers grave waiting. I could hear someone walking close by and looked up to see who it was. Ethan was there. He really was there. I stood up, almost falling face first, but Ethan caught me. I cried into his arms as he hugged me. We didn't speak a word to each other. We just embraced. He finally spoke and asked what the hell had happened to me and what was going on with my leg. I told him there wasn't much to say or that I could say. "I tripped and panicked and ripped my leg up." I lied to him. He knew there was something seriously wrong but decided not to question me further about my leg.
He asked why I had sent him such a cryptic message to meet him in the graveyard of all places. I stuttered on my words, I wanted to tell him everything and struggled to not to. I wanted to tell him and how much danger I was in and that he was in danger too and that this might be the last time we would ever see each other again, alive, at least.

He hugged me again and asked me again what I had gotten myself into. For the first time, I felt safe, I felt comforted.
I wasn't happy to see him under these circumstances. I wasn't sure how much time we had left or if I was already too late. I pushed him away from me lightly and wiped my tears away the best I could. I couldn't face him anymore. I told him I had to go now and that he should let me go and move on.

I turned away from him and intended on walking back when he took my arm and told me I couldn't leave him without an explanation as to what was going on. I didn't look back and told him it was safer for him to let go. He didn't and kept nagging, so I turned around and shouted, "Let go." -"I'm doing this for you. You must forget me." He looked at me dumbfounded, frightened and confused.

Saddened, I could no longer bear it. I hurried the best I could out of the graveyard. I stumbled and tripped halfway, falling down to the ground.
I just laid there for a few moments, breaking down and crying. Ethan hadn't followed me. I was truly all alone. I got myself back up and practicaly dragged my left leg behind me. I was at the gate finally. I fell down to my knees and sat down. I wasn't sure if Damon was even there, if anyone was there.

I closed my eyes for a moment and thought about how Ethan reacted. I regretted not just confessing everything and telling him to save me and call the police. When I opened my eyes, Damien was kneeling down, looking at me. His eyes were not as bright and vivid as they usually were. He helped me up and carried me to the car. I fell asleep immediately after.