Chapter 18

~~* Sierra's POV *~~

With her eyes closed, Sierra felt Damien's warm breath on her face. She felt something cold touch the dip in her neck and opened her eyes. Damien was trying to lock the necklace he had placed on her neck. Sierra was half disappointed and half astonished. He leaned back and faced Sierra with a smile. Sierra touched the cold pendant and realized it was a tiny heart. Sierra smiled back at Damien.

"Thank you."

"You are welcome."

Damien placed his hand on her waist again and took her left hand in his right. The two swayed slowly to the music playing in the background while maintaining eye contact. His musky scent attracted Sierra more towards him.

"Do you like the party?"

"I love it. It is perfect. Thank you, Damien."

"I told you I am an expert at managing events."

"I would have taken your word for it."

"Nah, actions speak louder than words."

"True. Makes your words more meaningful."

"What words have you been exchanging with Abe guy over there?"

"Haha. Are you jealous?"

"Jealous? Me? Of course not. It is not like you and I are dating."

Damien smiled at Sierra playfully. Sierra was always confused about Damien. Did he like her? Damien gave her a beautiful necklace as a gift. He organized a party for her. Everything he said to her before about choosing to sit with her willingly. It made her think that he did like her. He pulled her away from Abe and now they were dancing together. What other things did Sierra have to check off the list before she could be sure about how he felt about her? She needed a confession. But it was too early for that. They just became friends. But he could be interested in her. Her intrusive thoughts were driving her mad.

"Damien."

"Hmm?"

"Are you seeing someone?"

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean. Are you dating someone right now? Or are you currently interested in someone?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I was just curious."

"I might be interested in someone. But, they might not like me the way I like them."

"Why?"

"I have...flaws. I wish to rid myself of them. But, it is easier said than done. I have a past that has shaped me in ways I can not undo. No matter how hard I try."

"They might never get a chance to understand you if you choose never to share your actual self with them."

"But what if they run away?"

"They might or might not. There is an equal possibility for either of the two things to happen. But you can never know unless you try."

"I guess you are right."

Damien pulled her closer and wrapped both his arms around her waist. Sierra lifted her hands and placed them around his neck. She could feel her heart beating loudly in her chest. Sierra wondered if Damien could hear it. Sierra started to feel drowsy as they danced to the rhythm. She placed her head on his shoulder and felt his chin rest on her head. It was the closest that they had been. Sierra could hear his heart beating, but it was not as loud as hers.

The music stopped playing, and Rebecca announced it was time to cut the cake. Damien dropped his arms to his sides, and Sierra stood straight. Everyone started cheering as Sierra walked to the balloon arch and stood behind the cake. Sierra looked at the two-tier chocolate and raspberry cake placed on the table. It looked tempting. Sierra pulled a strand of hair behind her ear and stood there taking in the moment. Her gown complimented her body well. The pale yellow lights from the trees enlightened her figure. It seemed like a magical moment as people started to gather around her. Sierra spotted Dan in the crowd as he walked through it and hugged Sierra. She hugged him back.