Chapter 16

~~* Sierra's POV *~~

Sierra lowered the sunglasses and peeked to search for any hidden photographer in the scrubs. She kept checking her surroundings as she breathed through the mint-scented mask and wandered off to different public places before she turned toward home. Sierra had noticed movie characters going to crowded places to get someone off their trail. As she neared her street, Sierra wondered what her mother would say about the call she received from Luke. Unlocking the door, she checked the time on her phone. It was a little over nine. Closing the door behind her, Sierra noticed the house smelled comforting and inviting. She took off her sunglasses and mask. Sierra sniffed the aroma of the freshly baked cake in the oven. She looked around the kitchen and lounge and noticed her mother was nowhere in sight. Sierra glanced at the lit oven and a chocolate cake baking inside. That explained the sweet scent in the house.

She walked to the lounge, hid the sunglasses and mask in her bag, and placed it on the center table as Ruby descended the stairs. Sierra looked up to see her mother dressed in her brown turtleneck sweater, Rag and Bone jeans, and a towel wrapped around her head.

"Hi, Mom."

"Hey, sweetie. You are home."

"Yeah, I just got here."

"It was supposed to be a surprise, but I guess you have already seen the cake."

"Hehe, it was hard to go unnoticed."

"I thought it might take some time, so I made the batter and tossed it in the oven before the shower. Um, also, Luke called to ask about you. Did you have a problem?"

"No, he dropped by the house while I decorated the room upstairs. Luke was double-checking if I was your daughter. He thought I was lying."

"Why would Luke think that you were lying? He should know I would not let someone random into the house."

"I dunno. Maybe Luke freaked by finding a stranger in the house at this time of the day."

"Possibly. Anyway, I will talk to Luke tomorrow."

"You might not need to. I have told him that I will not be visiting anymore. The decoration in Luke's room is almost finished. My internship starts next week. So, I think I will not be free until six or seven. I thought I had the time, but my schedule for the internship says that I have to work three to four hours a day. I am sorry, Mom. I guess I will not be able to help you."

"Darling, you have helped enough today. And I told you before that your education is the priority. I am so proud of you for getting an internship this early into the degree.

"Thank you, Mom."

"So, you met Luke."

"Yeah. I think I saw him at the park near the property. I went there for a jog. Luke was talking on the phone so, I could not be sure if it was him or not. But looking at him today, I think it was him."

"Luke is on a call most of the times I have seen him. He seems like a busy guy."

"Yeah."

"Handsome, but busy."

"Ehh, he's okay."

"Sure, his looks are okay. The accent is the cherry on the top, though."

"Hahah. It sure is."

Okay. Now, you go, change, and freshen up. I will dry my hair, and then we will celebrate."

"What are we celebrating?"

"Um. Your birthday."

"Mom, I don't do this anymore. Plus, it is not my birthday until tomorrow."

"Honey, I am not home the entire day. If I wait for tomorrow, it will be past your birthday. I mean, we could cut the cake then since it is S-"