Chapter 57

He releases my hand, a gesture that surprises me, but then he gently places his palm against my cheek. The touch is both tender and possessive, a silent reassurance that everything is fine now, but-

I feel disconnected. I feel like I have missed so much, which makes me sad. I want to know his emotions and remember how he confessed his love to me. I want to remember what our first mutual kiss felt like. Have we even gone beyond that?

I shake my head, throwing such thoughts out of the way.

"What fills your mind?" Sesshomaru calmly asks, his eyes meeting mine.

There is nowhere to hide from his golden eyes. Nowhere else to look. It would seem inappropriate if I avoid his eyes, but it's too suffocating. I'm drowning.

I gently place my hand over his on my cheek, replying, "Obviously filled with questions which I have to find answers for on my own."

He pulls me into an embrace, a silent affirmation of his understanding. I bury my face in the crook of his neck, feeling a mixture of emotions. The weight of the unknown, the uncertainty of such reoccurrence, and the hope for finding a solid solution. I feel a knot in my throat but quickly swallow it. I shouldn't be crying in front of him. He might think I'm unhappy with the change.

The wind rustles the leaves around us, carrying with it the silence surrounding us. Sesshomaru lets go of me and holds my hand to probably leave the Well. However, Sesshomaru suddenly halts and glances at Tenseiga. I follow his gaze and see Tenseiga rustling in his sheath. Sesshomaru and I frown at it, unable to understand the reason behind this act.

"What news does he carry?" Sesshomaru mutters and looks ahead so I follow his gaze again, seeing Irgal rushing towards us like someone is running after him to end his life.

Out of breath, Irgal stammers to say, "Lady Iza-yoi. She is gone, and Lord Inuyasha is unstable."

Izayoi! Is her time up? But Inuyasha, what does he mean by unstable? I have to go-

Before my brain can fathom a word Irgal said, Sesshomaru dashes towards the castle, leaving me frozen in my place at his immediate reaction.

Did he just take off after hearing Inuyasha is in danger?

I don't understand! What have I missed in those seven years?

Athanasia switches bodies with me and flies us off to the palace. I rush inside the long hallway, decreasing my pace as I see a crowd of people in front of Toga's room. I halt as I see Toga leaving the room with Izayoi in his arms, his head low and hunched back.

It's real. She is gone, and Anubis can't save her anymore.

I heavily gulp as Toga passes by me, feeling how thin the air is.

"Humans are fleeting beings. Yet, they leave quite the impression," Inukimi comments with an empty expression while gazing at Toga. She shifts her gaze to me and continues, "Her impression is going rampage somewhere. I suggest you go as well." Inukimi ends her words and leaves.

She means Inuyasha.

I grind my teeth and rush to my room to fetch the Shikon Jewel which might come in handy. "Athanasia, it's time to look for Inuyasha and Sesshomaru. Do whatever it takes to get to them," I loudly tell her, and I feel her smirk.

I take a deep breath, clutching the Shikon Jewel tightly in my hand. If things go downhill, I will need to use the Shikon Jewel. Athanasia takes over and flies off the balcony to the highest point I have ever been to.

"Let me show you something extravagant, Zuri," Athanasia enthusiastically says. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath before intensely opening them. A shockwave erupts the moment she opens her eyes, revealing the world differently. Everything is black except for some moving things that take different colors.