Chapter 50

Three years have passed since that day by Musubi Mountain. I'm aware that time flows differently in the underworld, but I never imagined it to turn out like this. We met Anubis there before, and time didn't skip not even for a second, so what's the difference now? Was it because we were guided by Anubis to the right exit? If that speck of light wasn't Anubis showing us the way then what was that?

"Zuri!" Sesshomaru calmly calls out my name, snapping me out of my thoughts. I glance at him and then back at Toga. I bet anxiety is visible on my face.

"Your room remains the same. Take your time to comprehend what you missed," Toga softly says, and I nod to his words.

I take a step forward to head to my room when suddenly my voice echoes in my mind as a reminder.

I won't allow you to do such a monstrosity.

I fist my hand as I glance at Inuyasha and then glare at Toga. I don't think it's the right time to talk about that since it looks like it's already done, and Inuyasha is out of that tiny prison. I loosen my fist and walk ahead, letting it be another time for this kind of conversation.

While I'm heading to my room, questions overwhelm my thoughts. Is Izayoi still alive? How is Inukimi now? Is Inuyasha really okay, or is he silently suffering? Was Toga really worried about us going missing for that long? Is Sesshomaru overwhelmed as much as I am? Three years-

I suddenly halt as a realization hits me.

If I was away for three years in this world, how long have I been comatose in mine?

My eyes widen in shock, and I start to panic. The air around me becomes extremely thin as if I'm at a mountain's peak. I kneel to keep all my focus on breathing and nothing else. I have to calm down. It's fine. I'm still alive in this world, which means I am in the other. Only think about being alive and not about how your family is suffering. Only think about happy moments and ignore all the darkness coming from the far distance.

It's not time yet-

"Zuri, Are you fine, dear!" I hear Izayoi's words, and I immediately burst into tears while burying my face in her arms.

I don't know how long I've cried or how I ended up in my room, but I assume it's Athanasia. I don't need to think about that. I slowly open my eyes, seeing the dark room. I glance at the window, watching the curtains peacefully dancing. How much I've missed that view! Now it really feels like three years have passed.

A tear rolls down my cheeks, and I just keep watching with an empty mind. A few minutes later, I see a silhouette behind the curtains, so I slowly sit up. I know that silhouette very well. It's none other than Sesshomaru.

He elegantly walks towards me and says, "You seem to have calmed down."

Did he see me? I internally panic and shyly avert his gaze while giving a small hum to his words.

I fidget with my fingers and mutter, "I missed my twentieth, twenty-first and twenty-second birthdays without even realizing it. I don't know how my family is holding up with my state while I'm here living my dream, or maybe my subconscious is making up this dream." I look up at Sesshomaru and utter, "I don't know anymore."

"I assure you this place is not a dream," Sesshomaru sweetly says and gently places his hand on my head, which makes me blush and lower my head, averting any eye contact since I am totally aware of the fact that he can hear my racing heartbeat.

What is he doing? Why is he showing me affection? Am I over thinking it, or is he unaware of what he is doing? But he isn't an affectuous being.

I silently take in the warmth of his hand above my head, and eventually, I calm down. It's funny how safe I feel right now. Unconsciously, I put my hand above his, uttering, "Thank you." I peek at him and see him looking at the door while holding a frown. I narrow my eyebrows in confusion, asking, "What is it?"

Sesshomaru removes his hand while answering, "he isn't leaving."

I get up, and as I head to the door, Sesshomaru catches my hand, stopping me, which startles me. "He will leave eventually. Don't bother," He says, and I angrily pull my hand from his. He is acting possessive all of a sudden, which is pissing me off for some reason. I know I should be fangirling right now, but I have a feeling that the one who is behind this door is Inuyasha.

I head to the door, opening it to reveal Inuyasha, who is holding a small pillow with one hand while rubbing his eyes with the other. "I'm sorry. I heard noises, so I thought it would be rude to come in," Little Inuyasha says.

I freeze upon hearing his voice. It's weird seeing him in this tiny body and talking to me. It was fine when he was a toddler, but now he is growing up. Am I even ready to watch him grow up?

I sigh and sit on my knees, asking him, "Why are you wandering around at this hour of the night? Shouldn't you be sleeping in your room?"

He points to my room and innocently answers, "This is my room. I play in my big room, but I sleep here. I saw you earlier with father and brother, who are you?"

"Oh! So you recognize your brother," I say as I glance at Sesshomaru, who, for the first time, doesn't disappear when I'm in the presence of Inuyasha.

"Yes, mother and father spoke about him all the time," he says. "They told me, he went on a mission to make this world a better place for me. I don't understand what they meant, but they told me I'll understand when I grow up," he continues, and I burst out in laughter.

He is so damn adorable.

"Hey! Sesshomaru, you got yourself another admirer here," I tease him, and I hear him snort.

"Don't be ridiculous. He doesn't understand what he's saying," Sesshomaru comments.

"You still haven't told me who you are," Inuyasha reminds me, and I hum to him, thinking of a very simple answer.

"I am a Goddess, and my name is Zuri," I decide to answer, and I see Inuyasha's eyes sparkle with joy.

Oh! So Toga did speak to him about me.

"Lady Inukimi told me a lot about you," He says in excitement and suddenly clears his throat, lets go of his pillow and bows, proceeding to say, "Thank you for bringing my brother home safe and sound."

I widen my eyes at the sudden formal etiquette that never suited Inuyasha's attitude. And what does he mean by that, I'm sure he heard those words from somewhere.

"Who told you I'm the reason behind bringing Sesshomaru home safe and sound?" I curiously ask.

"Lady Inukimi, she was very worried," He answers, and I glance at Sesshomaru, who averts his gaze away from mine.

"I already spoke with her," Sesshomaru responds, and I smile at him.

He has changed. I feel overjoyed.

I get up and give my hand to Inuyasha to hold. He dumbfoundedly holds on to it and pulls his pillow behind him with the other hand. I gently put him on my bed and tuck him in while saying to Sesshomaru.

"There is something we'll need to speak about the next time we meet Sesshomaru."