Chapter 48

Ryumaru frows his eyebrows and says in his low-pitched voice, "You better be quick, Inu no Taisho." He takes one step in front of us and takes a defensive stance, slowly lowering his knees ready for any unexpected attacks from Kagutsuchi, who is standing still in his place without charging towards us.

Kagutsuchi looks at his hands in wonder, as if he is unfamiliar with what his body looks like. He looks at the sky and finally glances at Ryumaru. Kagutsuchi locks his eyes on Ryumaru, who doesn't break eye contact either. Tension builds up, and I quickly glance at Toga and Sesshomaru, hoping they will be able to finish as soon as possible and prove Athanasia wrong.

The loud sound of wind blowing grabs my attention, so I quickly look back at Kagutsuchi, who just inhales a lot of air, but for some reason, I feel uneasy. Why! He just took his first breath after so long.

Ryumaru changes his posture and instantly turns around, giving Kagutsuchi his back while yelling to warn us, "Everyone, take shelter."

Before my brain can comprehend Ryumaru's words, I see a large storm of fire getting exhaled by Kagutsuchi in our direction. Raijin and Fujin try to manipulate the air around the fire by splitting the air and diverting the fire path out of our range. The moment the two of them succeed in their attempt, we get hit by another firestorm. However, it takes us by surprise without Raijin and Fujin getting themselves prepared. Consequently, the storm hits us.

"Crap," Athanasia comments, and I get anxious.

Did we get hurt?

"No, we are fine, but Ryumaru's army isn't," She says, and the two of us glance at the scattered army. Some of them turned to ash, while some were severely wounded. However, the majority survived. Athanasia fists her hand and takes a step forward, but-

Huh! Am I hallucinating?

I halt as I see a glimpse of Akuru passing by me and heading somewhere while carrying a very familiar necklace. I turn on my heels to follow Akuru with my gaze, seeing him run up towards Sesshomaru and Toga. He transforms into his humanoid form and takes off the necklace. Akuru and Vishnu make silent eye contact as Akuru enters the barrier.

"Let's call him," Akuru states. Sesshomaru glances at his father immediately understanding who they'll be calling to the world of the living.

Athanasia is right. They are not Gods but mere full demons who need a catalyst. What's a better catalyst than Anubis's eye!

The ground rumbles, reminding me of the disaster I have given my back to, so I turn to find Kagutsuchi pushing his way out of the stiff mountain and slowly heading towards us. Raijin and Fujin summon a huge wall that is as high as Ryumaru and as thick as his army. Shiva stands behind the wall which is the only thing standing between him and Kagutsuchi, enforcing it with his mighty arms.

Kagutsuchi mockingly grunts and says, "Nothing can stop me. Last time, I fell into a trap, but not this time." With an extraordinary force, Kagutsuchi punches the wall, bringing it back to its raw material; sand. Shiva frowns, and as he takes a challenging step forward, we all feel a dense pressure suffocating everyone present.

We take a peek at the source, coming from the backline and see a large dark hand wrapped with long ancient-looking bandages. Athanasia grits her teeth and rushes towards the dog demons, yelling, "How dare you call him here? You know how dangerous this is to him. Yet you-"

"It was my choice," Anubis's real voice echoes in my heart. The voice I once heard in Athanasia's memories hit differently than the one I heard when I met him.

Both of Anubis's arms come out, and he slowly pulls his whole body out of the Meido stone. Kagutsuchi directs his attention towards Anubis and says, "Another Titan. How naive do you think I am!"

Anubis looks down at Toga, Sesshomaru and Akuru, saying, "We will need to do this together." Anubis directs his following words to Kagutsuchi, uttering, "I wasn't there the first time. Now, here I am."

"I presume this is the first time you meet the God of Death," Anubis takes a step, shaking a large area with his mere footstep. He walks till he reaches Ryumaru while dragging his Was-Sceptre behind him.

Kagutsuchi chuckles and says, "I don't fear death, and I certainly don't fear you."

Athanasia smirks and whispers, "He's definitely going to regret saying that. I hope Anubis doesn't end up exterminating this world along with Kagutsuchi."

The instant Athanasia ends her words, Anubis takes a step ahead of Ryumaru, who takes it as a sign to follow him, but Anubis extends his arm to block Ryumaru's way. Ryumaru doesn't ask any questions but silently takes one step back. Everyone witnesses Anubis extending both his arms to his sides and powerfully bringing them together in front of him with a huge force, forming a sand storm that knocks Kagutsuchi back and making him stumble and fall with a thud sound that disturbs everyone present.

Toga and Sesshomaru take that opportunity to get into full demon form and fly above Kagutsuchi while Akuru positions himself on Anubis's shoulder. Sesshomaru and Toga face each other and release a large dark aura that diffuses through the entire place without anything to stop it. Anubis creates a spherical barrier around them with himself included, preventing anyone from entering or leaving.

"Finish this quickly! You don't have enough time," Athanasia warns him.

However, Anubis glances at her and mutters, "I have all the time I need." Akuru nods and places his hand on Anubis' shoulder as a transparent aura suddenly covers his body. Sure, Akuru can manipulate time, but I never thought his powers extended to this level. It's like Akuru is preserving time for Anubis' body, which means it's making it hard for Anubis to move or keep up with what's happening around him. How powerful can one being be? This is extraordinary.

You have the body of an immortal yet you are wowed by this! How ridiculous! Athanasia sassily says, and I merely roll my eyes. Her attitude will never cease to surprise me.

Kagutsuchi manages to stand up and prepares to fire another bolt of deadly fire in Sesshomaru and Toga's way. However, the moment that fire reaches them, Sesshomaru's huge form dissolves Kagutsuchi's technique. I narrow my eyes and look at the top of Sesshomaru, seeing Tenryu in the air.

Did Sesshomaru use Tenryu without needing to wield it?

My confusion arises as Athanasia utters, 'You are right. Sesshomaru is strong enough to manipulate not only his sword but can use Anubis' Sceptre too, yet he is choosing not to.'

I widen my eyes at the noticeable change in his power level and full demon form, which became two-thirds the size of a Titan.

"How?" Kagutsuchi angrily inquires and rushes towards Sesshomaru furiously. Sesshomaru just looks down at him, knowing full well he is stronger than that God without testing it. I bite my lips worried that Kagutsuchi will prove us otherwise. However, Toga along with Sesshomaru release a storm of miasma and poison that covers Kagutsuchi's body from head to toe.

At that moment, Anubis points his Sceptre towards the portal and utters, "I needn't use my powers." Kagutsuchi widens his eyes as he gets sucked inside the portal, which looks like a black hole, but I'm sure it's just the underworld and not outer space which would have been a great idea too. Yet, I don't know if Gods can survive in space or not, so sending him to the underworld is a decent idea.

For a few seconds, Anubis gazes at the opened portal. "We are done here," He announces, and we immediately hear the cheers coming from Ryumaru's tropes who takes no time to go back to his presentable form. Toga lands on the ground too and approaches Ryumaru, shaking hands to thank him for his participation.

Akuru jumps off Anubis, returns to his tiny form and passes by me without batting an eye. Athanasia ignores him and heads towards Anubis. "Don't you dare pull such a stunt again," She warns him.

Anubis chuckles and answers, "I have my kin to look after. This world is part of my responsibility. Therefore, I'm afraid I can not promise you anything." He playfully winks at her, and his body gets sucked through his eyes, probably going back to where he belongs.

Among the cheers of victory, my eyes catch Toga looking upwards, so I follow his gaze and see Sesshomaru back to his normal form while holding a dangerous gaze. What's running through his head? He tightens his grip on Tenryu as he locks his eyes with mine, and it immediately clicks in my head.

He is going after him.