Chapter 52

I stay silent, waiting for Toga to give me an answer, but he just shrugs, saying, "How would I know? I expected you to have the answer."

I narrow my eyes at him. Why would I have an answer? I'm the puzzled one standing here.

'I promise, the Gods will watch over you,' Athanasia's voice rings in my head. I take a moment and remember that moment when I whispered in Inuyasha's ear, promising him that the Gods would watch over him.

'Do not underestimate the promise of a Goddess. Ah- and check out his neck when you get back,' she confuses me.

"Seems like you got your answer," Toga snaps me back to reality.

I look at him, and in confusion, I nod my head, saying, "Kind of. Athanasia has just told me it's because of the promise I gave Inuyasha before leaving."

Toga frowns, asking, "What promise!"

"I just told him that the Gods will look after him. I bet I left some of my aura in my room, which made it a safe place for him. I'm still confused on the matter, so I'm not sure if I'm explaining it correctly," I rub the nap of my neck, feeling a little flustered by the mere thought of having real God-like powers that can affect people.

Toga hums and doesn't say much. From time to time, I take quick glances at him. He sighs and asks, "What do you have in mind?"

"Three years went by, and there is nothing you want to tell me?" I calmly state while crossing my arms.

He lets out a chuckle but quickly clears his throat and mutters while looking away, "This place missed you." I narrow my eyebrows at him, uncrossing my arms. After a moment of silence, he proceeds with, "Izayoi went through many hardships which you would have helped her overcome. Inukimi went back to her closed space of which you were the one who got her out." He pauses for a second and says, "And we already talked about Inuyasha."

"And you?" I innocently ask. He frowns at me, which baffles me. Have I said it inappropriately? "Were you able to control the load of changes that happened while I was gone?" I try to correct my words.

He closes his eyes and harshly exhales. He turns his head towards me, meeting my gaze and calmly says, "It was hectic, but the Triad Gods were of great help. Lady Inari resides in the Eastern lands. Kirinmaru promised her a place where she wouldn't be disturbed. Raijin and Fujin decided to rebuild Musubi Mountain and give peace to all the lost souls residing there by making it their temple."

I nod my head with every word he utters. "What about the Triads?" I curiously ask.

"Each one went on his own path. They decided to roam this world and refused to build their temples. Maybe they want to see the changes that happened while they were in slumber," he responds and then pauses, hearing me hum to him.

"What about what happened on your end?" He inquires and continues with a disappointed tone while breaking our eye contact, "Sesshomaru didn't brief me."

Oh! Sesshomaru didn't speak with Toga, yet. I thought he'd meet with Toga before seeing his mother, as he mentioned.

I take a glimpse of his expression, which happens to be unbothered. If he didn't care, he wouldn't have asked. That man sometimes acts like Sesshomaru. I sight and look ahead at the landscape before replying, "Sesshomaru removed any trace of Kagutsuchi." I glance at Toga and see him looking at me with a confused expression. I sigh again and continue, "His poison is a God-killing tool. I'm not sure how Lady Inukimi survived that."

"She didn't," His answer shocks me.

What does he mean by she didn't? Can Tenseiga even save someone from that deadly poison? Kagutsuchi's death scene looked so much like Kagura's, who had no chance to survive, not even with Tenseiga's help.

How powerful is Inukimi now?

"Anubis forced back her soul through Tenseiga," Toga elaborates, leaving me stunned by his answer. "She would have died if not for Anubis's help," He continues and gives out a sigh of relief.

That must be the reason why Sesshomaru looks so disturbed whenever he mentions his encounter with his mother. Has he really spoken with her upon coming back? What if he is lying just to avoid the whole situation? Sesshomaru's connection with his mother in this world is far from what I know, it is way stronger than my knowledge, but his egoism is way stronger. That means he'd rather let his guilt eat him up than face her.

"I think I will need to go speak with Lady Inukimi, excuse me," I rush out of the garden and into the palace, increasing my pace with every step I take to find where Inukimi is. I head towards the library and halt when I reach it, remembering how it has changed into Inuyasha's room.

Where can I find her?

Her room!

I rush towards her room and ask her guards, but they shake their hands, unable to know her location.

Inukimi went back to her closed space.

Toga's words ring in my ears. I groan in anger because I know nothing about her. I should have known her more. I probably should have asked Toga before running off like that. I facepalm and sigh before turning back to go to my room, deciding I will have to postpone my meeting with Inukimi. In a few minutes, I reach my room and greet Irgal before coming inside.

As I enter my room, my jaw drops the moment my eyes meet with Sesshomaru standing by Inuyasha's bedside. He stands there looking at Inuyasha with an empty gaze, which worries me. I don't know what is running through his mind. "Sesshomaru! What are you doing here?" I whisper to prevent Inuyasha from waking up.

Sesshomaru ignores my words, and I see his hand reaching for Inuyasha's neck. I gulp and choose to trust him. Sesshomaru pushes the hem of Inuyasha's clothes collar with his claw, pulling out a necklace. I narrow my eyes and approach them to examine the sudden piece of accessory. Upon realization, I widen my eyes, seeing the pendant attached to the necklace. It looks like a part of the Meido Stone, which Anubis entrusted Inukimi with.

"It was him," Sesshomaru utters and lets go of the necklace.

I tilt my head, trying to connect all the dots. Inuyasha has the Meido Stone, but Inukimi has it as well. What does Sesshomaru mean by it was him? I take a moment to fully comprehend the words Sesshomaru uttered, but Sesshomaru has already bet me to it.

"He carries the same scent that led us out of the underworld."