56. ɪ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ

yes, yes i did change the cover and yes, i am most DEFINITELY obsessed with it

oh and in case you didn't catch onto it, that last line from the last chapter was referring to their love, ("almost as though it was never there"); i hope that was clear or else it would've just seemed like a really really stupid way to end a chapter

complaints for the last chapter can be posted right here!! --->

(i'm joking, there had better not be any complaints cuz that last one was a real masterpiece even if i do say so myself)

Mattheo blames the curse for his actions. I wish I could, too. But at the end of the day, Mattheo's choices were his own. In the process of upturning all my memories, he's dug up the moments I'd tried so hard to keep buried. They're dragging me back down to the dark places I spent years trying to escape.

He's had his arm wrapped around my waist from the moment we left his dorm this morning. It's still there, placed directly above my hip as we make our way into the Great Hall together. My hair falls like a curtain over my eyes, hiding how bloodshot they are from any passersby.

Students are buzzing with speculations as to what exactly happened in Hogsmeade last night. Naturally, heads turn when the son of the Dark Lord himself comes waltzing into the hall, appearing indifferent to the mutterings that surround him.

As he and I start heading for the Slytherin table, I bump into someone with familiar blazing red hair. Mattheo brings both of us to a halt as he watches Ginny Weasley walk away with narrowed eyes. Then, after a few extra seconds of thought, he calls, "Weasley. Come here."

Ginny stills. With one hand reaching for her wand, she slowly turns to face Mattheo. As does the rest of the school.

Fearing that he's about to make a scene yet again, I try to pull away from Mattheo's grasp. He tightens his hold on my waist, forcing me to stay in place as he takes lead of the conversation.

"Keeping in touch with your brothers, by any chance?"

"You'll have to be a bit more specific than that," Ginny deadpans. "Seeing as I've got six of those."

"Long hair, married, has an arsenal of curses up his sleeve?"

Ginny's eyes flicker elsewhere nervously. "What do you want with Bill?"

Mattheo shrugs. "Only wanted to suggest that you remind him of your existence. I think he's forgotten that he has a sister living under the same roof as myself."

Her jaw clenches tightly. "Are you threatening me, Riddle?"

"Oh, I'll be doing a lot more than that if it means making him pay," he laughs softly. "Your brother thought it would be a good idea to curse me, Weasley. Do you have any idea what that curse made me do?"

Would it be worse if he were taking responsibility for his own actions? How would he be responding to what happened last night if he'd just let the blame fall solely on himself?

"Sod off, Riddle," Ginny snaps, causing the onlookers to gasp. "To answer your question, no, I haven't been keeping in touch with Bill, because your lot have forced him into hiding. Owls to and from my parents are being searched, my family's every moves are being watched, so please, be so kind as to excuse my language when I tell you to go fuck yourself."

Gasps from all around. Mattheo only watches her for five eternally long seconds. Then his lips tilt upwards into a crooked smile. Ginny has just handed him the perfect excuse to justify exactly what he was hoping to do.

She gives a strangled shout as an invisible hand forces her onto her knees. It's just like what Mattheo did with Theo, only this time, Ginny hasn't been completely petrified in place. She struggles against magical bonds, making her appear all the more desperate.