41. ᴄʜᴀɴɢɪɴɢ ᴛɪᴍᴇꜱ

mkay so CSAT results came out and i missed out on my dream school by 0.75%.

ZERO. POINT. SEVEN FIVE. PERCENT.

but yknow what after crying about it nonstop for three whole days and finding my eyes bloodshot every time i looked in the mirror, i have finally come to terms with it; 

i've accepted it as fate that i have to redo the whole thing all over again for an entire year, only this time, i'm gonna get into an even BETTER school. :)

extremely long chapter today cuz i'm turning over a new page in my life (that makes no sense but just ignore that and enjoy these three thousand two hundred and fifty words <3)

According to the Daily Prophet, Harry Potter is now the number one suspect for the murder of Albus Dumbledore.

As much as I hate to admit it, it's a smart move. As the Boy Who Lived, as the Chosen One, Harry would've been a rallying point for any resistance to the Dark Lord. But by suggesting that he had a hand in Dumbledore's death, the Dark Lord has not only set a price upon Harry's head, but sown doubt and fear amongst many who would have defended him.

Muggle-born Register: 'The Ministry of Magic is undertaking a survey of so-called 'Muggle-borns,' the better to understand how they came to possess magical secrets. Recent research undertaken by the Department of Mysteries reveals that magic can only be passed from person to person when Wizards reproduce. Where no proven Wizarding ancestry exists, therefore, the so-called Muggle-born is likely to have obtained magical power by theft or force. The Ministry is determined to root out such usurpers of magical power, and to this end has issued an invitation to every so-called Muggle-born to present themselves for interview by the newly appointed Muggle-born Registration Commission.

"Who the fuck came up with this idea?" I stare at the latest edition of the Daily Prophet, stunned by the stupidity of it all. "You'd think they could go with something that made some sense, at least. If any of this rubbish is true, then why the bloody hell do Squibs exist?"

"Don't think any of the pure-blood fanatics care about the technicalities," Mattheo replies. "And of course, they're not letting any Muggle-borns into Hogwarts," he nods to the next page, which mentions proof being needed of a young witch or wizard's Blood Status for them to be allowed into the school.

"Does your father really believe in all this nonsense?" I wonder out loud. "Or does he only use it as a rallying point for his Death Eaters? I just can't imagine the Dark Lord being so obsessed with which eleven year-old gets to attend school and who doesn't."

"Honestly?" He sighs. "I've got no idea. The Slytherin blood in our veins has me compelled to answer that with a yes, but my grandfather, his father, was a Muggle, so-"

"What?"

Almost subconsciously, he starts picking out the silver-blonde locks in my hair again. I don't try to stop him in any way- With the Dark Lord off in Merlin knows where, still searching for Gregorovitch, the Malfoys have mostly had the Manor for ourselves these past few weeks. As there's no danger of either of my parents bursting into Mattheo's room unannounced, I'd say there's no harm in these little acts of intimacy.

"Are you really surprised, though? We all know how much of an arse he is, hypocrisy is pretty much expected at this point, don't you think?"

I'm still shaking away the shock I feel at hearing him talk about the Dark Lord this way when he says, "Think my mother was a half-blood, too. I don't reckon she was a pureblood, at least, not from the way he talked about her that single time."