24. ʙᴀᴅ ꜰᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜ (16+)

<< Warning: Mild Sexual Content >>

(Very mild so don't come after me :))

*****

I've really fucked things up this time.

For five incredible seconds, the two of us are suspended in time. Nothing and no one around us, no thought, no flustered emotions, just... This. Something that feels so natural, almost meant to be.

Then Mattheo pulls away abruptly. Stares at me with pure horror in his eyes, like he wasn't the one who instigated the kiss in the first place. I raise a finger to my numb lips... Salazar, this was never supposed to happen.

By the time I come to my senses, he's already left the corridor, running away from what I'm sure he must be thinking was the worst mistake of his life. But fuck that- He doesn't get to run from this when he was the one who kissed me first.

I chase him through the halls, his echoing footsteps a dead giveaway as to where he's headed. I might not be a fast runner, but by using one of the secret passages Harry told me about, I manage to make it up to the Astronomy Tower only a few short seconds after Mattheo does.

There, I find him looking up at the bleeding evening sky, elbows resting on the ledge with a smoking cigarette in his hand.

The brilliant shades of the sun melting into nighttime make my eyes hurt, but I approach him anyway. Light footsteps to keep him from noticing me right away, but he tenses up regardless.

"You shouldn't be here," he mutters, rubbing his face with his hands.

"And you shouldn't be smoking," I pluck the cigarette right out of his fingers. "It's bad for you, you know."

"What doesn't kill me won't hurt me." He makes a grab for it, but I pull my hand away.

"Care to explain what happened back there?" I raise an eyebrow.

"A mistake," he mutters. "One that won't be happening again."

I try not to let his words sting too much. "Why do you say that?" I ask, still keeping the cigarette away.

"I'm the Dark Lord's son," he says bitterly. "I'm not supposed to care for anyone."

"Says who? You?"

"It's easier that way," Mattheo struggles to explain. "You wouldn't understand. Just- Give it back." He makes a grab for my wrist this time. "Give it back, Y/n, it helps me take my mind off things."

"Things?"

"Family drama."

"Does it really work?"

"Most of the time."

I hum a response. Take a step forward. "Think I've got a better way of helping with that," I tell him quietly.

"You do?" Mattheo murmurs, and despite what he said, he stays in place even as I take the final step to close all distance between us...

One hand at my back and the other gripping the ledge as he pushes me backwards with the rest of his body. His arm snakes around me to keep me from losing my balance, instead having me surge forward and straight into his chest.

His eyes lock with mine. I become increasingly aware of the pulse in his neck, beating unevenly right beneath my hovering lips.

"Can I help you?" I look up innocently, giving no indication that I've noticed the change in positions.

"You drive me mad, Y/n," Mattheo whispers, his gaze flitting over to my lips before returning to my eyes. "This is a bad idea."

"What doesn't kill me won't hurt me, Riddle," I murmur a response.