28. ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴀʀʀᴀᴛɪᴠᴇ

The picture?????

Btw if I don't end up updating this, know that I've probably drowned myself in my own tears at how badly my college entrance exams went 🙃

Been prepping for it a year now, dear Merlin PLEASE let me get a good score so I don't have to wait another year to retake them

cuz here in Korea, the CSATS are literally THE most important exams EVER, it's an eight-hour exam that some people spend up to half a DECADE preparing for :D

(kay so nvm i've scheduled all the updates beforehand, so new chapters will keep coming regardless of whether i spend the next week crying my heart out or not; i'll probably be doing a status update on my life in about a week or so, which is when the final essay exams end as well)

I'm gonna do great (please) :D

*****

Controlling the narrative is an important thing. Considering who Harry is, it would've been far too easy for word to travel that the brave Harry Potter had been attacked by the Dark Lord's son and the Malfoy twins, putting up a good fight of his own but eventually getting overpowered by the cowardly Slytherins who'd decided to go after him three on one.

But that isn't what happens. For once in my life, fate takes pity on me. Because by that time the following day, the whole school knows the truth- Or the altered version of it, anyway, changed for my benefit.

Due to their own personal differences, Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy ended up in a duel. Potter used an incredibly dark spell on Malfoy that had the boy bleeding to death. Mattheo Riddle and Y/n Malfoy came charging in, and while poor little Y/n lay crying at her brother's lifeless form, Potter engaged in another duel, this time with Riddle, the latter of whom used a spell even darker than what had already been used, opening a wound on Potter's jaw that was quickly infected with black magic.

The rest is up for interpretation.

Potter and Riddle. The Chosen One and the Dark Lord's son. The twin murderers of Hogwarts School- Two people so hungry for extra scraps of fame that they would resort to such terrible methods to get what they wanted.

Or perhaps Potter and Riddle, the Boy Who Just Had To Go And Pick Fights With Everyone Else and The Overachieving Slytherin Who Just Had To Take Up The Challenge.

I prefer the third version, one where Harry is portrayed in the same way but Mattheo is described as a romantic who was only trying to get back at Scarhead Potter for hurting his girl.

But that's not the truth of what happened at all. What really happened was, I finally managed to control it. My brand of dark magic, while it still did respond to my emotions, showed itself in the form of a single cut. Wielded by my wand. Harnessed by my hand.

It terrifies me.

"Give me your wand," Mattheo spoke to Snape, the eerie calm in his voice a complete contrast to how he was screaming just moments ago. "Whatever you think you saw, whatever you think you know..."

"I know nothing. I saw nothing," Snape promised, with a wary glance at me, but that wasn't enough for Mattheo.

"You have to let me take your memories. This information-"

"-Will never leave this room."

Mattheo looked back at my trembling form, rocking back and forth on my knees as I watched Harry's eyes turn hollow.

"Do you really think I'd ever trust you?" Mattheo laughed in disbelief, his wand still pointed at Snape's throat.

Snape had countered Mattheo's spells easily before, but that was when Mattheo had been acting irrationally, letting his heated emotions fuel his movements instead of letting logical thoughts guide him. Something told me that Snape wouldn't be as successful this time- Especially when considering his fatal weakness. As an honored Death Eater, Snape couldn't possibly think of maiming the Dark Lord's son. Mattheo, however, had no such rules to abide by.