26. ꜱᴇᴄᴛᴜᴍꜱᴇᴍᴘʀᴀ

Damn, the chapter title?? 🤨🤨

Enjoy the cliff hanger at the end, my dear readers <3

Also I saw a tiktok of Benajmin Wadsworth saying some very nasty lines for an audition and I feel no shame in admitting that I feel incredibly blessed to have seen it :)

"Ginny and Dean have broken up," I skip over to Blaise the next morning, despite the massive hangover pounding away at my skull. Blaise instantly perks up, all signs of his own hangover gone in a flash. "Heard it from Hermione. Apparently, Dean tried to help Ginny through the Gryffindor portrait hole one too many times, like she couldn't do it herself. Oh, and Ron and that Lavender girl have split, as well."

But I don't think that last bit quite manages to get through to Blaise's head.

I meet up with Harry, Hermione, and Ron after second period, and learn that while Hermione passed her Apparition Test with flying colors, Ron had a similar problem as Daphne and ended up leaving an eyebrow behind. As Harry and Ron head to the library to finish their essays for McGonagall, Hermione and I travel to the Ancient Runes classroom together.

"Katie's back, you know," Hermione tells me on the way. "Katie Bell. She got here this morning, saw her in the Common Room earlier."

"So she's alright, then?" I ask, remembering the dampened screams that pierced the air that afternoon in Hogsmeade. "Could she remember who'd given that necklace to her?"

"Unfortunately, no," Hermione sighs. "Best we can do is move on, I think. It was horrible, but at the very least, she fully recovered. Anyways- What's this rumor I've been hearing about you and Mattheo Riddle? I thought we hated him?"

Then follows an awkward conversation with me trying my best to explain to Hermione what's been going on between me and Mattheo, while leaving out a few minor details like how he took the blame for me almost killing him that winter's night.

Today's class is perhaps the most fun I've ever had in Ancient Runes. Not because the coursework is of any interest, though we do learn about a couple of intriguing curses that the Egyptians used to keep thieves away- A far more lethal version of the Ton-Tongue Hex, jinxes that had the victim wandering in circles for years, and the like...

No, it's more the company that keeps things interesting.

Stop doing that, I voice in my head, as Mattheo continues to rub his thumb over my thighs from underneath my desk.

Ask me nicely, and maybe I'll listen.

Stop it before I hex your fingers off.

You're such a brat.

Stop it, before I end up doing something the both of us will regret.

A smirk climbs onto his lips, but he does stop, right in time for the professor to round our desk to take a look at our translation work.

"Excellent work as usual, Mr Riddle. Miss Malfoy, your runes have come out a bit wobbly, don't you think?"

My quill snaps in half, and Mattheo's smirk only grows wider.

⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎

Excitement for the Quidditch matches reach an all-time high in the days that follow- No one can remember a time when the four Houses have been so evenly matched against each other. Admittedly, Gryffindor has a far less chance of winning the Cup than the other three Houses do, but with Katie Bell back on the team, who knows? As for the Slytherins, there's also been a return in members. My fellow teammates are so desperate to win the championships that they collectively forget to keep their distance from Mattheo and welcome him back with open arms.