51. ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴇᴄᴇɪᴠɪɴɢ ᴇɴᴅ

Kay so i did NOT expect you guys to get so shocked by that last chapter, and it's turning out to be a pretty big problem seeing as I'd only grazed the tip of the iceberg with mattheo's toxicity so far; all in all, i can't wait to see how traumatized you get by the chapters to come!! :)

Mattheo, it seems, has gone completely suicidal.

Walking into our Dark Arts class, I was half expecting him to join in on the fun that Professor Carrow was having, forcing several younger students who'd landed themselves in detention to stand still while he displayed the Cruciatus Curse on them. But of course, I should've known better than to think things would be that simple. Mattheo remains as quiet as he ever was during the lessons before Christmas break, keeping his gaze away from the horrors that are taking place in front of us. The only minor difference is that instead of gritting his teeth and shutting his eyes, he now seems perfectly content with turning a blind eye to the screaming children.

It's when Carrow tries to get us to engage with the practical part of our lesson that the stirring begins. As usual, Neville Longbottom is the only one brave enough to refuse to engage in such Dark Magic, which earns him the role of being one of the subjects for the curse. And because Carrow is a petty arse of a teacher, he assigns Longbottom to the Slytherins most associated with the Dark Lord's regime.

Crabbe and Goyle are the first to have a go, and for what I'm sure must be the first time in their miserable lives, they manage to get outstanding marks in the class. It only takes them a couple of tries to get a hang of the curse, and they both get so excited that Carrow actually has to chase them off so that the rest of us can get a turn.

My brother is next, a complete disappointment in the professor's eyes, it turns out. Draco can barely hold his wand straight as he tries to utter the incantation, and when he manages it, nothing but a feeble red spark spits out of it. Several minutes of frustrated urging on Carrow's part offers Longbottom some relief as he tries to recover from what Crabbe and Goyle just put him through.

The room quiets when Mattheo steps to the front of the line. Everyone, from the other Slytherins to the Gryffindors feigning practice on the other side of the room, turn to watch as the boy famed for his skill with today's particular curse takes the center stage. Longbottom flinches back, his face still set with grim determination, but his eyes widen with fear in a way that they hadn't before.

Mattheo raises his wand. Levels it down at Longbottom, who stays frozen in place, preparing for the worst.

And then, Mattheo's wand goes clattering out of his hand.

"I'm not doing it," he announces coldly. "I don't want to."

"You don't... Want to," Carrow stares at him. He clears his throat. "Mr Riddle, might I remind you that this is a class activity that you are required to participate in?"

"What are you going to do, professor? Write a letter to my father about it?" Mattheo sneers. "Oh, but don't worry. I'm well aware of the consequences for my actions. I'll have to thank you for that, Longbottom," he says, with a sideways glance to the boy who only gawks back up at him.

"Mr Riddle, what are you..."

"You made it perfectly clear, sir, as to what happens to those who refuse to... Ah, cooperate with your teaching methods," Mattheo says, slowly walking forward until he's right beside where Longbottom is slumped on the ground. Then he turns on his heels, until he is facing the next person who was supposed to cast the curse on the Gryffindor boy... Me.

"That wasn't what I- I didn't mean- Mr Riddle," Carrow fumes, "Enough with this nonsense. You will cast the Cruciatus Curse on Longbottom at once."

"I don't think I will," Mattheo replies.