𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 1

The snores of the little kits were the only thing that could be heard throughout the silent OakClan camp, filling the nursery with a comforting noise.

   The sun was not up, the dawn patrol was not out, and everyone was sound asleep in their nests, yet Shortface was wide awake. 

   One might've thought that she was asleep; she was so still. Her eyes were closed. But she was far from sleep.

   With one's mind whirling, how could one sleep? How could you sleep knowing your kits were going out into the harsh and cruel world where they would be abused both physically and emotionally?

   How could a mother endure watching her kits grow up and be beaten left and right? How could the kits she loved so dearly suffer so much? 

   Shortface shifted her position, wondering how the day her kits would become apprentices would go. She prayed to StarClan that it wouldn't end up as horrid as it could. 

   She tried to find comfort that at least one of her kits- her tom- would have a happy day. But the comfort and the hope were quickly extinguished as she thought of the day he would be brainwashed and completely cut ties with her. 

   The hopelessness overwhelmed her until she felt like she couldn't breathe. She was suffocating in the weight of her despair. 

   "Mother?"

    Shortface turned and opened her eyes to see her tom was awake. His eyes were wide as he looked at her. Had he sensed her agitation?

   "Yes, Dear?" she whispered. 

   "Are you okay? You look a little bit stressed," he said quietly. "Do you need something?"

   She gave him a sad smile. "No, thank you though. You're very thoughtful."

   He nodded, not looking very convinced but apparently deciding not to pry. "Is today going to be our apprentice ceremony?" he asked, his voice more cheerful.

   Shortface didn't speak for a moment, steadying her voice before she said, "Yes, Dear. Today will be your apprentice ceremony."

   The tom smiled broadly, rolling onto his back and staring at the roof of the nursery. "I can't wait to get out of camp and hunt something!"

   "Of course you are," she said quietly. 

    There was silence for a bit while Shortface closed her eyes and took deep breaths. 

   "You should go back to sleep," she said finally. "You need rest for your big day."

   But he was already asleep.

   She sighed again, curling up once again and closing her eyes. Perhaps sleep would finally come to her now.

***

   "All cats who can hear the Pine rustle join under OakRock for a clan meeting!"

   "Go on, kits," Shortface said, trying to sound upbeat. "It's time for your ceremony!"

   The tom looked at me closely. "Can my sisters go out hunting with me too, Mother? Pretty please?"

   I took a shaky breath. "I'm sorry, Dear, but no. They have to stay in camp and. . . serve the other toms."

   "Oh," he said sadly, lowering his head. 

   "What do you mean, Mother?" one of the she-kits said. "What do you mean we can't hunt too? I don't want to stay and serve!"