Chapter 12: Pehli Rasoi

POV: Kiara 

"I am so sorry Aunty, I slept in," I panicked.

"This is unacceptable," she was disappointed.

"I promise this won't ever happen again," I looked down.

"It better not. If you call me Aunty ever again I will never talk to you," she smiled. Aww, she's so cute.

"Can I call you ma?" I asked.

She kissed my forehead and said, "Of course beta and as for the breakfast everyone eats breakfast at 8:30 am on Monday to Friday and 9:30 am on Saturday to Sunday."

It was Sunday, I looked at the time and it was already nine, shit how was I supposed to make breakfast at this time.

"Ma, I only have half an hour, what am I supposed to make?"

"You can make anything, and your new here so no one would mind breakfast being late, everyone here loves you beta," Ma replied.

Except for that kadus, I mumbled under my breath.

"Don't worry that Kadus will start loving you soon, just give him some time," OMG was I that loud?

"Ma I am so sorry I-" I was cut off.

"No beta, don't worry, I get you and trust me sometimes he is," and she winks.

How am I so lucky to have a mother-in-law like her, I mean aren't mother-in-laws supposed to be bad? My life would've been perfect with such a good family but unfortunately, my husband came out to be toxic.

"So ma, what should I make, I mean what are everyone's preferences?"

"Okay so, ma sorry I mean your dadi can't have sugar she has diabetes, your father-in-law is allergic to peanuts, your brother-in-law is a foodie so he will eat anything, and your husband is a bit of a picky eater, I mean he doesn't like too much salt or to less he needs his food to be perfect or else he doesn't eat. They usually just eat cereals or toast for breakfast," Ma started explaining.

I was kinda shocked, I mean who eats cereal and toast for breakfast, it's so boring. "And how about you ma?"

She looked at me in shock, like I threw a bomb at her. Her eyes started tearing up. OMG did I offend her or something?

"Ma, I am so sorry did I say something wrong or do something wrong?" I was panicking, it was my first day and I already made my mother-in-law cry. Shit Kiara!

"No, beta you did nothing wrong it's just that, no one really asks me what I want. Your father-in-law tells me I can do whatever my heart desires but that's it, no one else really cares."

What? Seriously? I quickly wiped her tears. "I'll make whatever you want Ma," I said.

"Beta no I-" I cut her off.

"I what ma? Come on ma, trust me on this," I cupped her face.

"Umm, how about Kheer?"

"Perfect ma, I'll make that for breakfast and I'll also make tea, oh and I'll also make some dhokla."

"dhokla? Yes, ma, I make Dhoklas very tasty, oh and I'll also make egg on toast, oh and how about kachoris? oh, and I'll also make-"

"Bas bas bas, you're feeding a small family, not a full farm, and how are you going to make all of this?" she joked and I smiled, assuring her that I can cook it.

"Oh, but your pati dev (husband) doesn't like tea, he prefers black coffee," she informed.

Black coffee? Wow, his preferences are just like him, Black coffee? Like seriously? What is wrong with him? I mean coffee is okay but black coffee? Ugghh!