Chapter 27

The aroma of freshly baked delights greeted Abraxas and Felicity as they entered the charming bakery in Hogsmeade. The display of intricate cakes, each a work of sugary art, beckoned them toward the counter where a cheerful witch awaited.

"Welcome! How may I assist you today?" the witch inquired with a warm smile.

Abraxas, wearing an almost regal air, spoke up, "We're here for a cake tasting. We're in the midst of planning our wedding."

The witch's eyes sparkled with delight. "Congratulations! Let's make this a special experience for you."

Guiding them to a cosy corner adorned with an array of cake samples, the witch began to present the options. "Here we have chocolate raspberry, vanilla almond, and our delightful lavender and lemon. Feel free to try each one and let me know your thoughts."

Felicity's eyes lit up at the mention of lavender and lemon. "I'd love to start with that one."

Abraxas, however, interjected gently, "My parents have a fondness for the classic. How about we try the vanilla almond first?"

Felicity, recognizing the significance of familial preferences, nodded in agreement. "Of course, Abraxas. Let's start with the vanilla almond."

As they sampled the vanilla almond cake, Felicity couldn't deny its classic elegance and harmonious blend of flavours. She shared a knowing glance with Abraxas, silently acknowledging his parents' choice.

"It's lovely," Abraxas remarked, a smile gracing his features. "Just like my lovely bride,"

The witch, attuned to their feedback, provided additional details about frosting options and decorative styles. Despite her initial inclination toward lavender and lemon, Felicity respected the significance of incorporating family preferences into their wedding decisions.

In the end, they decided on a multi-tiered vanilla almond cake adorned with delicate floral details. The witch congratulated them on their choice, assuring them that it would be a delightful centrepiece for their celebration.

As they left the charming bakery, Felicity couldn't shake the subtle twinge of disappointment that lingered within her. While she had agreed to the vanilla almond cake to make Abraxas happy and honour his family's preferences, her heart secretly longed for the tantalizing combination of lavender and lemon. And as his parents were paying for the entire wedding of her dreams, what choice did she really have?

Abraxas, sensing her quiet contemplation, gently squeezed her hand. "I appreciate your flexibility, Felicity. I know my parents will be thrilled with the choice."

Felicity managed a smile, appreciating his consideration. "It's essential to incorporate everyone's tastes, especially for such an important occasion."

---------------------------------

The common room buzzed with the ambient hum of students engrossed in their activities as Felicity made her way through the familiar surroundings. Abraxas's hasty kiss before they parted still lingered in her thoughts when she noticed Tom's enigmatic presence.

"Where were you?" Tom's question hung in the air, cutting through the subdued murmur of the room.

"Cake tasting with Abraxas," Felicity replied, her tone revealing little about the emotions churning within.

Tom, his cool exterior momentarily disrupted, seemed lost in thought. After a pregnant pause, he spoke with an unexpected admission. "You know, I never did apologize to him for keeping him mind-controlled."

Felicity's eyebrows arched in surprise, a subtle scepticism in her gaze. "Apologizing to Abraxas? That's unlike you, Tom."

At that moment, Tom's gaze held a hint of introspection, an unusual vulnerability creeping into his usually composed demeanour. Suddenly the realisation hit of how good a friend Abraxas had been to him throughout the years. "Sometimes, even I realize the need for an apology."

Tom Riddle's vulnerability cast an ethereal glow, softening the sharp edges that typically defined their interactions. Felicity, who had built a fortress of disdain around herself, found its foundation quivering in the face of Tom's unguarded revelation.

"There are aspects of my life that even I find challenging. Sometimes I get startled by the horrible things I do," he confessed, his voice carrying a vulnerability she rarely witnessed. "Of course, I only do them because they have to be done."

There he is, Felicity thought to herself. He may be able to love. But Tom will remain Tom. an immense feeling of righteousness still coursed through him, excusing his cruel behaviour. 

However, Felicity cared more about Abraxas and the fact that Tom was willing to treat her Fiancé better was an incredible relief to her.

The usual frost in Felicity's eyes began to thaw, and a momentary warmth flickered in their depths. A silent struggle played out on her features as she grappled with the conflicting emotions stirring within her.

"I never thought vulnerability was part of your repertoire," she admitted, her guarded tone giving way to a surprising softness.

"We all have our moments, do we not?" Tom responded with a soft smirk, acknowledging the unexpected turn of their conversation.

Felicity's stoicism crumbled, revealing glimpses of a conflicted heart beneath.

"It doesn't change the fact that your ambitions are dangerous," she said, her words hesitant yet carrying a newfound understanding.

"Dangerous, perhaps. But also necessary. Power is a delicate dance, wouldn't you agree?" Tom remarked, his gaze piercing through the lingering vulnerability.

"I didn't expect you to be so... human," Felicity admitted reluctantly, her eyes momentarily looking away.

"Surprising, isn't it? Even I have moments when the front fades away," Tom acknowledged, a hint of amusement in his tone.

As Tom's vulnerability pierced through Felicity's defences, the air hung heavy with unspoken understanding.

"I never thought I'd say this, but I can understand the weight you carry," Felicity confessed, her voice softening against her will.

He looked at her before she physically saw his face harden again.

"Thank you," is the only thing he said before returning his gaze back to the book in his lap.

Felicity entered her room, and there, coiled gracefully, was Nagini.

During her travels to Brazil and to Abraxas' vacation home, she had released Nagini into the forest as she knew Nagini was more than able to catch prey and survive by herself. But Felicity had missed her pet terribly. And was very glad to return to her.

The serpent greeted her with a subtle flick of her tongue, a gesture Felicity had come to recognize as a sign of contentment.

"You've been rather affectionate lately," Felicity mused, her fingers gently stroking Nagini's smooth scales. "Especially when I return right after speaking with Tom. What do you think of him?"

Nagini responded by slithering around Felicity's body and wrapping her in what seemed like her form of a 'hug', her movements a dance of serpentine grace. "You like him, don't you?" Felicity chuckled, interpreting the reptilian response in her own way.

"I thought animals were supposed to be good at sensing people's characters," she teased, gently patting Nagini's head. "Not you?" She sighed.

The snake nuzzled against Felicity, almost as if offering reassurance. Felicity sighed, contemplating the enigmatic connection between her and Tom, as perceived by her unusual companion.