"Whispers of Hearts"

Author

The clock struck 10 in the night, and the Singhania mansion had already settled into a tranquil state. Dinner had been enjoyed by all, and each member had retired to their respective rooms, except for Vaidehi. In the quietude of the mansion, she lingered, patiently awaiting the arrival of her husband.

Expressing her frustration, she muttered to herself.

Vaidehi: "He knows very well that I don't eat before him. Still, he won't come on time-grumpy, arrogant man, idiot, stupid."

Her soliloquy of complaints was abruptly interrupted by the sound of the doorbell. A sudden smile adorned her face, and she eagerly hastened to the door. Opening it, she was greeted by the sight of her handsome husband, his blazer draped casually over his left arm, sleeves folded to reveal the veins on his strong forearms.

As she approached him with anticipation, he cleared his throat, causing her to snap out of her fantasy world. Meeting his gaze, she found herself momentarily intimidated, prompting her to lower her eyes. Without further ado, she redirected her steps toward the kitchen.

Viyansh observed this peculiar reaction, a furrow forming on his brow. Puzzled by her demeanor, he decided to follow her to the dining area.

Viyansh wondered, "Why does she consistently make me feel like I'm some villain in her life, as if I'm going to hurt her?"

His subconscious retorted, "As if you've given her any reason to smile at you."

Viyansh dismissed the thought with a nonchalant "Whatever."

His words echoed loudly, capturing her attention. She glanced at him briefly, only to lower her gaze again, proceeding to serve dinner onto two plates. As customary, they shared their meal in silence. Once done, she collected the plates and headed to the kitchen to attend to the dishes, while he made his way to his room.

As he reached the threshold of his room, his entrance was unexpectedly halted by Vihaan.

Vihaan's voice echoed in the corridor, catching Viyansh's attention. Viyansh turned towards Vihaan.

Vihaan: "Bhai"
Viyansh replied, "Yeah?"

Vihaan: "Bhai, I want to talk to you about something really important."

Viyansh: "Yeah, tell me."

Vihaan: "Not here. Can you come to my room?"

Viyansh nodded, and both brothers proceeded towards Vihaan's room.

Vihaan gestured towards the couch, saying.

Vihaan: "Bhai, please baitho na (sit down)."

Viyansh and Vihaan took a seat.

Viyansh: "Yes, Vihu, kya baat hai (what's the matter)?"

Vihaan: "It feels like ages that you called me Vihu."

Viyansh simply lowered his head.

Vihaan continued.

Vihaan: "Why are you doing this, Bhai?"

Viyansh: "Doing what?"

Vihaan: "Why are you not treating Vaidehi as your wife? It's been two weeks since you spent time at home. Do you have any idea how much Viraj, Virat, Papa, and I miss you? Vaidehi may not say anything, but she does expect some affection from you, and she's trying her best. But you... Why are you doing this to her, Bhai?"

Viyansh retorted.

Viyansh: "See, you guys asked me to marry her, I did. Now, don't expect anything else from me or from this marriage."