Chapter 28: Come What May

"I can't handle this Maxwell! You know I can't! I'm not good with children, I'm almost past all of my breaking points here!" I heard my mother shout as I hid behind the wall near the stairs.

They were in the kitchen, shouting and arguing. About me of course. Did she really believe all of this about me?

"Lucile! Do you realize what you'll be doing by leaving!? She is our daughter, don't say you don't love her. I know you do! I know it's hard, but I've always been here to help you." My father pleaded. My 9-year-old brain was spinning. Tears were silently traveling down my face, threatening to fall to the floor.

"Darling, I love you. I love Lacey, but I can't risk this. I hope she doesn't hate me when I do come back; but I can't have her ending up like me. Goodbye." She said and I heard the door shut, and an engine roar.

She was gone.

I woke up, panting. I saw Ashlyn sitting next to me in Alex's bed, reading.

"The dream?" She asked nonchalantly, she already knew.

"Yeah, I-I just don't get it. Like, if she didn't want me to turn out like her.... why didn't she just tell me, and teach me." I mumbled aimlessly into the thin air as I stared up at Alex's bedroom ceiling. She sighed next to me.

"Babe, you've been asking yourself over and over again for years. Now's your chance to find out, talk to her. I know you claim to hate her, but do you really?" She asked as she looked down at me sympathetically.

“No. I hate that I don’t! I hate the fact that I can’t hate her! She left me!” I started shouting at nobody in particular.

“Shh, shh. I know sweetie. I know.” She said as he hugged me. Ashlyn gave the best hugs, warm and not too smothering.

“How long was I asleep?” I asked, wanting to avoid the pressing topic. Ashlyn smiled slightly at me and put down the book she was reading.

“About an hour, Jack has been keeping everyone hostage. He wanted to watch all of the Home Alones. They’re still on the first. I figured I’d come keep you company.” She said as she laid back on the bed next to me.

“That boy needs to stop obsessing over a child’s Christmas film.” I chuckled.

“Tell me about it.” She replied with a smirk.

“So how are you and Zack doing, I feel like we haven’t just had Ash-Lace time in a while. Tell me, what’s new?” I asked. A smile faintly showed on her lips.

“Great, really. We haven’t done anything yet, because we really want to wait in order for it to be really special. He’s really the best guy ever. The entire school knows we’re dating; so Zack’s a bit more popular. He fits right in with the sports guys; he even joined in on the team practices. The guys love him. He hasn’t met daddy yet, but he met Jason. Jason likes him. Other than that… not much has changed.” Ash told me with a bigger smile than before. Jason was Ashlyn’s older brother, he was usually extremely protective, but him liking Zack was a welcome change. I smiled as she talked about her life. We don’t really talk about our home lives much, since our dads work together, and moms aren’t big influences in our lives. Her mother had died when Ashlyn was much younger, before we met.

“Enough about me…. How are you and Alex?” She asked with a cocky smirk playing on her lips.

“We- We’re amazing!” I gushed; and I wasn’t lying. Before my whole ‘Mommy’s back’ scandal, Alex and I were perfect. We were the ‘it couple’ at school, and I had been pushed to captain of the cheerleading squad, not just co-captain. Lisa quit… she became one of the art kids. Whatever. She was nice enough, but we weren’t close. Cheer hadn’t taken up too much time and when it did take time; it wasn’t an inconvenience. If I had practice; so did Alex. The band had really taken off, home town shows and a small tour over spring break. Best part:

THEY GOT SIGNED. They threw a party to celebrate. We all got wasted, but nobody slept with anybody’s girlfriend/ boyfriend…. Or at least each other’s girl/boyfriends. I really don’t want to know the details of my friends’ sex lives.

I feel bad though, I haven’t spent much time at home. It’s not like my dad would care. He was rarely there. But, oh, wait…. She’s back. I don’t hate her, as much as I wish I did… I don’t.

She did the right thing, I didn’t end up like her. Too bad she had to leave in order for that to happen.

--------------------------ALEX’S POV--------------------------------

 “Bro, Ashlyns been up there for like an hour, maybe you should go check on them?” Jack said; not bothering to look at me. His attention was focused entirely on the TV as he watched creeps in vans watch Kevin McAlister walk down the pavement. Seriously, who came up with the plot line of that film?!

I took Jacks advice and walking upstairs slowly, going over the events of my day in my head. Not too much happened until after school. That’s when shit really happened. I had reached the door and cleared my thoughts as I stood in front of my bedroom door. I knocked. Why did I knock? It’s my room!

“Come in!” I heard two perky voices shout from behind the door, I pushed the wood open and walked into my familiar bedroom. Lacey and Ashlyn were sitting crisscross-applesauce style on my bed, their heads turned to me. I smiled sheepishly as Lacey grinned.

“You know… this is your bedroom. I don’t see why you knocked.” Lacey spoke as she shuffled over into my lap after I sat down on my bed. I smiled as she leaned her head on my chest.

“I don’t know. I just didn’t want to interrupt anything. Ya’ know… girl talk and stuff.” I said. Wow, I sound so idiotic. Lacey laughed slightly at my response. I smiled again, her laugh was infectious. It made me feel all warm and tingly inside and it just made me want to be with her more and more.

“Mhm, okay babe.” She said simply and kissed my lips quickly. Ashlyn made a high-pitched ‘Awww!’-ing sound as we split apart.

“Really, we’ve been dating for almost 6 months and you still make cooing noises when we kiss?!” Lacey asked her best friend. Ash nodded excitedly.

“You guys are my OTP! Okay, and I just learned what that means, so I’m gonna exercise my right to speak!” Ashlyn pouted slightly. Me and Lacey snuggled into each other and laughed.

This will last. It can always last.

AUTHORS NOTE: Do you guys like this, I ended the chapter sorta happy for you guys!!!! Hope you loved it! Please comment your thoughts and what you think will happen. Comment what you want to happen; I love reading all of your guys’ thoughts and suggestions. You guys are my inspiration for half the story! Thanks for all of your support! <3

-          Oh! And go ready ‘Stories From The Bottom Of The Bottle’ by Yougivemehope. A certain someone (ME!) appears as a bff. It’s like one of my newest obsessions. Actually everything Lulu writes can become my obsession. Lol.

-          I also read an amazing one shot today; it was Jalex and it was about them getting married. Sadly it’s a bit tragic, so warning there! It’s called ‘Dreams Only Last For A Night’ by SirensAndCigarettes. I

->Both of the stories are in my favorites and atl reading lists!

That will be all my lovelies!

Xoxo, Kennedy