down day

Leah's POV

I woke up feeling groggy, as if I had gone to sleep in the middle of the day and woken up just before dinner time, but it was 8am. I felt warm, and when I got up to go to the bathroom I felt dizzy. Originally I had no idea where all this had come from, but overnight I had struggled to sleep due to some nightmares and scary thoughts. I knew this had set me up for a major down day, but I had training and I knew I needed to get up, I just didn't know how.

Y/N woke up not long after me, getting straight up to pee then coming back to sit on the bed. She noticed I was awake but could instantly tell something was up.

"You alright?" she asked. I was staring at the ceiling, completely zoned out and overthinking so couldn't answer her.

"Leah?" she spoke a little louder.

"What?" I snapped, without meaning it.

"Ugh, someone's being grumpy today!" she scoffed, before getting up and heading downstairs for breakfast. I didn't mean to snap at her, which made me overthink even more, but now about whether Y/N was mad at me or not.

"It's only 8am and you've already fucked up, nice one Leah." I thought to myself.

Y/N's POV

It was only 8am, and already Leah had snapped at me. She was ignoring me first thing and then when she snapped I just couldn't understand. She was in such a grumpy mood and I refused to deal with it at such an early time in the morning. I went downstairs for breakfast to see some of the other girls to distract myself, I just wanted to have a good day.

"Morning sleepy!" Beth smiled at me as I walked into the dining room.

I smiled back and went to give her a hug. It was amazing having her back in camp, after she'd been away for a while.

"You say that as if I've properly slept in!" I laughed.

"Well compared to me you have, so it's fine." she replied.

"Where's Leah?" Jess asked from across the room.

"Bad mood," I said. "I tried to talk to her this morning and she just snapped at me so I'm just giving her space."

"Bless her." Keira frowned.

An hour or so later, we went out for training, Sarina waiting for us at the end of the field. I was expecting Leah to head outside with the rest of us, but she never showed, which started to concern me despite being slightly mad about this morning. I dropped her a text before I went to start.

"You okay bub? Thought you'd come out for training with us but you're obviously not here. Let me know if something's wrong xxx"

An hour of training had passed and I still had no response, leaving me unsure of what to do. I went back out onto the pitch after our drinks break when my watched buzzed on my wrist with a message.

"Sorry angel, I was asleep. I'm also sorry about this morning, I didn't mean to snap. Just had a bad night's sleep and feeling a bit low this morning, but I'm sure I'll be fine later. Just need to have some time to myself and have a good cry and a sleep. Go and smash training, love you xxx"

I smiled knowing that Leah was okay, although it hurt me that she didn't tell me how she was feeling this morning. I continued with training until we finished and I headed back inside with Beth and Hempo.

After training I ran straight up to mine and Leah's room to check on her. I flung the door open to find Leah lying in bed holding her favourite teddy. I sighed, seeing her in such a state. I hadn't noticed it this morning, but after she texted me it all made sense.

"How you feeling?" I asked, sitting down next to her.

"I don't know what's wrong with me." Leah replied.

"Nothing's wrong with you. You're just having a bad day, it happens from time to time. You've seen me in a bad way, it comes and goes in everyone so please don't beat yourself up." I reassured her, letting her rest her head on my chest.

"I'm so sorry for snapping at you." Leah whispered. "I promise I didn't mean to."

Her voice cracked as she spoke. I stroked her long blonde hair and drew circles around her shoulder with my finger, to help her feel a bit more comfortable and less alone.

"Don't worry about it. As I said, it happens, and I was just worried about you rather than anything else. But please come and talk to me if you're feeling like this again, I'm here to help you, that's what friends are for." I said, feeling her body vibrate against me, but not drawing any attention to it as I knew she'd be embarrassed about crying if I brought it up.

As she sniffled, I placed a small kiss on her head and continued to keep her company until it was time to drag her out of bed for some food. Even still, she stayed with me the whole time, and I never left her side.