Chapter 19: A Second Chance

Ryder's POV:

"Ryder, this is Everest! Daring Danny is safe now," Everest reported.

"Thanks, Everest! We were able to stop all the trouble in here and fix some damage around Puplantis as well. We're just waiting for Skye, Rubble, and Zuma to get back with the other Merpups," I replied.

"Okay, we'll head back to the Lookout now. The other two here are fighting and getting cranky. I bet they need some more sleep," Everest said.

Soon after she said that I could hear a heated argument between Liberty and Tracker from the background.

"Seriously, you should have warned me about the bear on the way or else I ended up crashing right on it!" Liberty yelled.

"Excuse me?! I was freaking out in the darkness earlier. And I'm no creature who can see in the dark so I didn't see it," Tracker yelled back.

"Well, how come you didn't HEAR it?!" Liberty questioned, fuming.

"Oh, how come I didn't hear it?! The bear was quiet, THAT'S WHY!" Tracker answered, sarcastically.

"HEY, YOU TWO, COULD YOU QUIET DOWN! YOU'RE WAKING UP EVERYONE IN THIS MOUNTAIN. NOT ONLY JAKE BUT ALSO THE BEAR THAT LIBERTY NEARLY RAN OVER," Evereset scolded, loudly.

Finally, the two went silent.

"Er, okay... Uhm, nice job, Everest!" I said, not even sure what to say.

"Thanks, Ryder. And I'm sorry you had to hear all the ruckus. I'll hang up now, see you later," Everest concluded.

"Okay... Bye, Everest!" I replied, hanging up.

After the call, the rest of the pups started bringing up questions.

"I wonder what's Coral's reaction when she sees Zuma," Chase brought up.

"Good question... " Rocky nodded.

"Wait, do you think they'll ever be back again?" Marshall asked.

"I think so... I know Zuma won't give up that easily. But it's up to them if they will start over again," I answered. 

I said I'm not getting myself involved in this, then, why did I answer? Stupid me, I should shut up now.

"Guys, they're here!" Marshall shouted.

"Hey, we're back!" Rubble called.

"Coral, you're safe!" Chase, Rocky, and Marshall said at once.

"Yeah, me and the Merpups are okay. Thanks for saving us," Coral thanked 

"You're welcome, Coral. Whenever you're in trouble, just, uh..."

"Ruff ruff!" a Merpup barked.

"For help," I finished.

After that, we all began giggling at once. When we stopped, Zuma spoke, catching everyone's attention.

"Uh, can I talk to Coral alone for a second?" Zuma asked. 

Everyone else, including me, began glancing at each other. Coral's eyes widened at gave a glance at me and Skye. Oh, please, don't tell me I'm getting involved in this again.

"Sure, of course, Zuma," I answered.

"Do you want us to leave or... what?" Skye asked.

"Coral and I can just go. Just... Don't eavesdrop on us. Please?" Zuma answered.

Skye smiled at the rest of us, willing to respect the privacy Zuma always wanted that some of them never gave.

"Okay, Zuma. We'll stay right here," I replied. Zuma sighed in relief and signaled Coral.