Chapter 12: I'm Sorry, Zuma

Skye's POV:

Liberty, Coral, and I headed inside the Lookout to find Ryder. We headed up through the elevator and found him there, doing something on his Pup Pad.

"Hi, Ryder!" I called. Ryder turned around to see the three of us.

"Oh, hey, Skye, Liberty, and Coral," he replied.

"We were just wondering if you could help us with something," Liberty started.

"What is it, Pups?" Ryder asked. I tapped on Coral to signal her to tell it now.

"Well, uh... You see, Ryder, I've got this problem," Coral started to open up.

"What's wrong, Coral?" Ryder said as he started to listen intently to Coral.

"It's about me and Zuma... I-I-I didn't realize how hard it would be for us to be together. I knew that if I stayed with Zuma, I have to leave Puplantis, my home, behind. The truth is... I love Zuma very much, but I don't think I can sacrifice my home just for him. I wish I could tell him that, but I just can't because I know how much it will hurt him. If I can't tell him, I think I should leave and return to Puplantis tonight without him knowing so he will stop worrying about me," Coral admitted.

What Coral said got Ryder thinking a lot. I don't know why, but he was thinking quite deeply before he could even reply.

"Coral, I understand if that is your decision, and I will respect that. What can I help?" Ryder finally answered.

"Do you think you can help me get to Puplantis without Zuma knowing about it?" Coral requested.

Ryder paused for another while again, thinking about what to reply.

"Pups, look... I wish I could help that much for you all. But now, I'm starting to feel bad for Zuma. I promised Zuma that he could trust me in getting both of you together. If he finds out that I'm into this, he's gonna get mad or upset at me." he admitted.

"Oh, I get it," I replied, with a nod.

"Yeah, I can already imagine that on Zuma's face," Liberty agreed.

"It's okay, Ryder... I understand, too. I don't mean to get you into this too. The three of us can handle it ourselves," Coral replied.

As the three of us turned around, about to head into the elevator, Ryder suddenly stopped us at the last minute.

"Wait, Coral..."

We turned around to Ryder. It seems like he had changed his mind.

"I think I have a plan... I'll go with the three of you and drop you off right above Puplantis. We'll take the Sea Patroller so Zuma won't notice that our vehicles are gone,"

"But how are we gonna hide that from Zuma? He's gonna ask where we all went," Liberty asked.

"I guess I'm gonna have to leave it to the other pups. They'll make something up so Zuma won't find out," Ryder answered.

"That sounds like a great idea," I agreed.

"Don't worry, Coral. We'll get you home tonight," Ryder assured.

"Thanks, Ryder,"

"Wait, you're leaving, Coral?" someone said from behind, overhearing the conversation.

I hesitated to turn around, hoping it wasn't Zuma who heard us. Thankfully, it didn't quite sound like him. When I turned around with Liberty and Coral, it was Everest.

"Coral, are you leaving?" Everest repeated her question.

"Wait, you were here all this time, Everest? Which means that you heard everything we just talked about?" Liberty questioned.