Of Blackened Hearts and Broken Bones

Dean rushed past the destroyed checkpoint, hundreds of corpses lying about, the creature biting at his heels. Seeing a bandolier of grenades on the ground, he sets Dean on the ground.

"Get in the toll booth!" The soldier shouted, the boy turning to the creature.

As it screeched, Nicholas rushed into the booth and hid under a desk, curling up into a ball, pulling his knees up to his chest.

Dean grunted angrily, slinging the bandolier around his shoulder and taking aim with his MP5. "Come on, you over-sized freak."

The creature screeched angrily, its insatiable hunger pulling at its dismembered bowels that hung from its torso like a ball of yarn inside a damaged baseball. As the beast made a jump toward him, he tries to anticipate its direction. It bolts toward him at a full gallop and lunges at him. Dean narrowly manages to dodge its hulking body, watching as it crashed into a fire truck.

The creature shakes its head as it slowly stand up, feeling a sudden burst of pain in its side. Several holes begin to drip blood, the sound of gunfire filling the air.

It screeches and lunges at Dean again, who rolled out of the way, a pained grunt escaping his lips. Firing several bursts at its spine, Dean manages to cripple its legs.

"Alright, Nicholas. Let's go while this thing is disabled," Dean said as he reloaded his smg.

Nicholas rushed toward the man, following him away as the creature screamed and squealed, desperate to get its claws on them. Making their way toward a run down building, they wander inside, not noticing the old faded red and white umbrella on the wall.

The lights flicker and burn, pipes rusting and falling apart. Stepping into the hallway, Dean turns his flashlight on and pulls Nicholas close, strange instincts he'd never felt before subconsciously coming out. As they drew further on, the two found several rooms. Approaching the closest one, Dean peered inside, nothing.

Or so he thought at first. As he looked around, he spotted some ammunition and bandages. Relieved, he walked inside and took a seat, cleaning his wound with what medical cleaning agents remained.

Nicholas kept his eye on the door, looking back and forth at it and Dean every couple seconds. With a grunt, Dean pulled a pistol, a small Bulldog revolver, out of a holster and handed it to the terrified boy.

"Hey, kid." Dean held up the revolver. "Take this and watch the door. Don't want to get caught off guard when that thing comes back."

"It comes back?" Nicholas asked, his eyes wide with terror.

"The Gs always come back. Especially when they're hungry, and she's starved."

Nicholas took the gun and walked back to the doorway.

"You know to use it?"

Nicholas nodded, his hands shaking.

"Good."

For the next five minutes, Dean treated his wound. Upon finishing with the gauze, Dean looked up, listening to the rapid footsteps in the vents.

"I hope those aren't what I think they are," the soldier whispered.

"What do you mean?"

"Lickers and by the sound of it, fast and hungry fuckers." Dean slowly stood up.

Nicholas raised an eyebrow. "Swear jar."

"Kid, if we get out of this, I'll pay for your first car." Dean pulled the slide of the MP5, readying to leave.

Leaving the room, they follow the flickering lights and come across a man leaning against the wall, a pool of blood resting about his body. Nicholas was about to walk up to him but Dean stopped him, placing a hand on his chest.

"Are you okay?" Nicholas asked, his innocent voice filling the hallway.

The man groaned and moaned in pain, hunching over in an effort to alleviate the discomfort, something moving underneath his skin.

"S-Stay back!" The man shouted.

Nicholas froze in fear hearing the sickening snap of the man's jaw, watching it dislocated and hang in place, a large tenticlear tongue reaching out of his misshapen maw as he scratch his throat in terror.

The man groaned, unable to stop his transformation. In seconds, his body began to convulse, his arms and legs violently flailing about as he cried out in agony. His arms began to morph into a different shape, his bones snapping and reshaping into monstrous proportions, his fingers lengthened, growing chubby, long claws of bone slowly ripping through his fingertips and curving like those of a dog. A spike began to slowly rip through the skin of his elbow before curving back down toward his ribs.

His legs began to twist and shake with a sickening audible pop that reverberated through the room, the muscles of his calves creating a continously growing bulge in the fabric of his pants as his spine began to lengthen, spikes of bone bursting from his upper back as his long fingers rip open his abdomen and areas of his neck, desperate to grab the creature scrambling under his skin, creating a soft yet strong bulge just underneath the dermis.

His moans turned screams as his neck dislocated and was slowly pushed to the back, a secondary head ripping through the muscle and tissue, revealing eyes of green and black. The creature's brain quickly set to work creating testicular feelers on its face.

The two stood there in complete terror as the beast let out a deafening roar before running down the dark hallway. Looking into another room just a bit further down the hall, they come across a young woman with a glowing distended belly, in which rests strange creatures. She is suspended on the wall by a strange black goo reminiscent of amniotic fluid and saliva only more viscous and solid.

The woman herself is unrecognizable. Her legs appear as though they were consumed, turned into reproductive cells. It was as if she'd never had legs in the first place, the joints connecting her legs to her pelvis so clean and carved to the point of perfect smoothness. Her arms were little more than nubs, slowly shrinking to match her legs.

Her face and chest were starting to merge, a vague sense of consciousness revealed in her slanted, damaged eyes. As her eyes met the two before her, she pleaded with God, begging him for an escape.

Dean knew the look on her face as he seen it before. He knew what to do, even though it hurt to. Closing his eyes, he aimed his MP5 at the woman's head, her mouth already merged with her clavicle. He fired one shot and the woman's overgrown belly exploded, the creatures within screeching and flailing on the ground as she shakes in relief, closing her eyes.