Degeneration...

Some time later...

Claire had only just left a medical tent after giving blood when she watched a small group of trucks approach, only just barely noticing the WilPharma logo on the sides.

Nearby, Leon holds his phone, talking to a woman.

"Hey, Hunnigan. I'm reporting in."

"I already heard. The marines landed in the nick of time and saved the day. I can't tell you how relieved I am."

"I'm amazed and impressed you got authorization for that. You must have pulled a few strings."

"Yes. Well, I have my resources. After I received confirmation from USAMRIID that the virus used in this attack was indeed the T-Virus, I submitted a plan to the president. He pushed it through as a special emergency act. Every marine involved in the assault was vaccinated."

"Have the terrorists made their demands?"

"No, not yet. But the FBI captured a member of General Grande's army in Los Angeles just moments ago. When we interrogate him, he might give us some information that'll establish a link between this attack and the one in India."

"Maybe we'll dig up a lead on the whereabouts of former Umbrella Employees. They've gotta be the ones peddling the virus on the black market."

With Claire

"What the hell is going on? Why are WilPharma drugs being brought here?""

"It's the vaccine."

Claire froze. She recognized that voice. She turned around, slowly. "You? What are you doing here?"

The senator entered the conversation. "He's WilPharma's head researcher."

"Claire was confused and suspicious of the two.

"May I introduce Frederic Downing. He's the one who developed the vaccine for the virus. Which you in particular are so familiar with."

"You mean the infection at the terminal?"

"You thought that was WilPharma engineered, didn't you? Utterly ridiculous! An inoculation. That's what they've been working on, a way to prevent further outbreaks."

"But..."

"Claire, it's true."

"You knew?"

"Yes. I didn't think its use would be sanctioned this quickly. Then, the Human testing in India..."

"An attack by terrorists that somehow got ahold of the T-Virus. All the members of the group supported by General Grande were infected, so we don't know the details. The US government obtained permission from Indian Authorities to administer the T-Virus vaccine to the nearby communities. A vaccine secretly developed by WilPharma. It was a success. The infection rate was kept as minimal as possible."

Angela was furious, grabbing Leon by the jacket. "Why the hell didn't you break out the vaccine for this? If we'd been inoculated before we entered the terminal, Greg would..."

"Inoculation would have been entirely possible had TerraSave not backed us into an adversarial corner. Had we been able to follow proper procedure as outlined in the original schedule, the government medical stockpile could have been shipped anywhere in the US within 12 hours."

Claire was horrified. "Oh, my God. Then...it's all our fault."

Senator Davis smirked as he waddled up to Claire, smug as a mug at a Christmas party. "I wouldn't argue with you there."