Of Wedding Bells and Snow White Dresses

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Monday
November 7th, 2005
White Chapel Church, Downtown

Leon stood amongst his friends, gazing into the mirror. His eyes drifted to the many scars he'd accrued since Raccoon City. A simpler time filled with hope and honest optimism, ruined by corporate greed and Biological disaster.

"Not having second thoughts are ya?" Chris asked, raising an eyebrow as he leaned against the wall, crossing his arms.

"No. Just thinking."

"What about?" Chris stood upright and walked up to his friend.

"I'm still worried you know. I mean...fatherhood isn't really my strong suit."

"I have to disagree with you on that."

Leon turns to face Chris. "Really?"

"Yeah. I've been watching the two of you. I'm still coming to terms that my little sister isn't so little anymore, even more so that she had a kid. I couldn't ask for a better brother-in-law and Nicholas couldn't ask for a better dad."

Leon smiled, shaking his head. "Thanks for the vote of confidence."

Chris pat Leon on the shoulder. "Don't worry. You'll be just fine."

Taking a deep breath, Leon tightens his tie a little and makes his way to the door.

"Shall we go?"

Pointing to the doorway with his free hand, Chris smiles. "Ladies first."

Leon chuckled. "Ass."

A few minutes later, Leon found himself at the altar, waiting for his bride to make her way down the aisle. Standing beside him was Chris and a couple friends.

Claire was waiting on her bridesmaids to finish with her dress. They'd been doing their best all morning and were almost done. After they were finished, Claire turned toward her son with a soft smile.

"So, what do you think, Nick?" Claire asked, twirling in her dress.

The boy smiled, giving his mother an enthusiastic thumbs up.

"You have the rings?"

Nicholas nodded.

"Good. Just make sure you don't lose them, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

Chris kept his eyes on the open doors, his mind pulled back to the time he'd met his nephew.

Flash and Fade...

Chris's POV

I had just gotten back from one of his assignments to visit my sister properly. There had been quite a bit I'd missed since we departed.

It was strange, walking up to a house owned by my 19-year-old sister.

As I found myself in front of a dark blue door. My hand rose to knock, my fist clenching and my wrist bending forward. I hesitated, not knowing what to expect or what to say if certain questions arose.

Taking a deep breath, I could feel the knot in my stomach tighten ever so slowly, growing as it twisted. My lungs seemed to burn in anticipation, my hands shaking and twitching as my nerves began to trip as though I'd touched an electrical socket.

When my knuckles touched the door, I felt my the pace of my heart quicken. I heard footsteps, light, though quick in stride. I brought my hands to my sides, watching the door open with a smile.

"Chris!" Claire exclaimed with excitement, her arms enveloping me in a bear hug.

I was hesitant at first, but I slowly brought my arms down to hug her. It felt...good...warm.