The Start of a Nightmare

Marvin's POV

I at on the gurney in front of Claire while watching some surveillance footage.

"So, nobody knows what caused this?"

I shifted in place a bit. "There's alot of theories, but all I know for sure is that this place is crawling with zombies."

"Yeah, you're telling me..."

I watched her search her pockets before pulling out a walkie talkie and fiddle with it.

"Hey, hey...keep that on...just in case."

"I'm not going to be around long. Once I find Chris, we're outta here."

I perked up at the name and smirked. I look up at her with a smile. "you really Chris's sister?"

"Yeah, why? Did you find something?"

I could see the worry behind the calm, determined demeanor. Such is the way of family. I will not see mine again. Oh my mother would tear me a new one if she knew what has happened.

"He's on vacation. Europe, I think. Left weeks ago."

"Vacation?"

I watched her heart sink as she said it. She came to the heart of hell on Earth to find him and now she's stuck in this shitty place.

"That's...that's great news!"

I decided to change the subject.

"Well, I've got more for you." I pointed at the map my friends made. "Looks like there might be a way out through this secret passageway."

I felt the pain of my wound, lurching back onto the gurney.

"Hey, hey...we should probably get you to a hospital."

I shook my head. "Oh, no. Forget about me. I can take care of myself."

She stood up, beaming with optimism, something I'd only just lost days ago."

"No, don't be ridiculous. You're gonna need some help."

"Listen, Claire." I pleaded. "Save yourself." I paused, gritting my teeth. "So you can see your brother again."

My breathing grew ragged as I shifted. "Now, you'll probably need this." I held an object in my hands and tried to give it to her.

"No, I'm not taking that. You're gonna need-"

"Shhh." I looked her in the eyes. "And be careful." I pause for a moment, remembering my now long dead friends as I give her some advice. If you see one of those things...no matter who they were...you can't hesitate. Take'em out if you can...or you run."

I felt my wound grow worse. You know, I did what I could. Making sure sure that some got out. Though, I'm not sure anyone really got far away enough from this mess.

My thoughts turned to home, to my mother and father. It all seemed so surreal. Perhaps...perhaps I'll see them again. Someday...

Claire's POV

It was...difficult to see Marvin like this. Though, it should have been expected. Someone like him would have lost all hope in this terrible place. I try my best not to dwell on it as much as it pains me.

Making my way to one of the doors. Flipping a switch, I watch the shutter move up toward the ceiling. Entering the room, I spot some ammunition on the bench. Picking it up, I put the bullets in my back. Walking toward a door behind a wall, I open it to find a dimly lit hallway.

As I walk down the corridor, I turn to my right to see a barricade made of shelves and furniture. Turning back to the hallway, I spot a large boarded up window covered in blood. As I drew closer, I heard someone's voice. Turning to one of the dead officers, I see his walkie talkie.