Blood Unbound, In It We Drown

I'd been sitting for what seemed like forever. Standing up was a bit difficult. Leaving the room, I walk up to a machine in the wall and pluck a component, a signal modulator, I need from it before going back downstairs into the break room.

Using the modulator, I bring power back to the area, giving me access to a server room. In said room, I find some more flame rounds as well as some gunpowder.

I walk toward a another locked room, and watch as the door opens seamlessly. Entering the room, I walk past the many microscopes that were left unattended by the dead staff. Walking up to one of the corpses, I look at her jaw, eaten away it seems.

"Welcome back, Doctor Li. You have 5 new messages."

I sigh and stand up. Approaching the computer, I read Mister Li's messages.

"Sender: Rick Mendoza. Subject: What's he up to? Can you believe that bastard, Cartwright? Cool your jets, asshole! Well, I guess he's the boss...for now. Anyway, have you seen my helix anywhere? I put the secret on the bottom. Let me know if you find it."

"Sender: Byron Cartwright. Subject: Busy Guy, Huh? So, you couldn't make our little meeting. Fine, don't worry about the Greenhouse Inspection. Instead, I'll give you something real simple to do: put together the budget estimate for the year after next. And get it done tonight."

"Sender, Rick Mendoza. Subject: You alive? We're under attack. People are dead. The East Area is cut off. We can't operate the bridge with the wristbands we have here. Where is that bastard, Cartwright, hiding?"

I felt a low rumbling in my abdomen, and I chuckled. "Agreed."

"Sender: Rick Mendoza. Subject: Please reply! Plant 43 is going wild. The greenhouse is hell! We need to send someone in there before it's too late. Wayne, how do we stop this thing? You have to help us! Please reply!"

I look around the room, the only corpse here was the dead woman.

"Sender: Rick Mendoza. Subject: None. Do you remember Suzie, the cheerleader? What a great gal. We were both into her. Of course, she wasn't into nerds. I still have to give you back those comic books and games I borrowed. But you might have to wait a while."

There was no need for context. That was his last words, and Wayne never even read them. These people didn't deserve this. All of this death over some replaceable pieces of green cotton and personal glory?

I stood up and froze, a groan behind me. I slowly turned around to see a twitching black woman with glazed eyes. She lumbered toward me. I gave her a look of pity and pulled the trigger a few times and walked into the freezer after watching her body fall.

I was inside when I felt it. "Damn...I shoulda packed my parked."

Walking over to a console, I inserted the dispenser vial and watched the machine do the rest. When it was done, I picked the vial up and left the freezer. Making my way back up to the waiting room, I take the door out to the greenhouse before making my way back into the herbicide dispenser.

On my way there, I find myself in confrontation with strange plant zombies. Loading an incendiary grenade, I take aim and fire, the flames consuming them until they were black and ash. Making my way into the control room, I put the vial into the slot and watch as the plants start to die off. The man stuck against the window quickly falls toward the ground, a wristband piece in his hand.

"So much for the weed infestation."

Making my way out of the control room, I find the man in a hazmat suit lyin next to a dead scientist with no signs of turning. He looked...alive. His skin was filled with color and and nothing seemed off, but...I knew was dead and so was his "friend". I quickly realize who they were and sighed.